Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get in to shooting trap/skeet/sporting, but don't know what to buy. I've read that there are differences in the gun for each. Do I really need to buy a different shotgun for each or can I buy one that will do it all well? I know I would prefer an O/U, but that is about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1-Shotgun(this one can be discussed FOREVER without getting the "right" answer, buy what you like and your budget allows you to. ANY gun will get you in the game), 2-shell pouch, 3-ear and eye protection. Done!

Next go to your local range and enjoy!

Glenn

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Rocnerd,

I was in your spot just about a month ago when I started. Don't get too discouraged if you don't get a lot of responses about which particular brand or model of shotgun to buy. Imagine posting a question on a forum asking, "Which car should I buy?" :D It's such a personal decision that no one can really decide it for you.

As for your question about shooting different sports with one gun, well, I'm happy to say that it's quite possible and quite common. You can definitely get one shotgun that does well in different disciplines. At the moment, I use my one Beretta 391 for both skeet and trap.

Of course, if you get a gun designed primarily for skeet, it will have some features built into it that make it excellent on the skeet field, but may be a hinderance when shooting trap. Same goes for a gun designed to only shoot trap...

Again, it's the same as a car. Can you get a sports car that holds six people? Probably not. Either you get a fast car that holds two, or you get a slow mini-van that holds eight, or you compromise and get a nice sedan that holds six. Best of both worlds...

So in fact, while your just starting out, it's probably best to buy an "all-purpose" or "sporting" model, that will let you try lots of different things with just one gun. The only thing you'll have to do is swap chokes here and there.

good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess your right about the car analogy. I am going to a free clinic at the range the day before the local gunshow, so hopefully I can try out some different models. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
I started weth a Remington 11-87 sporting clays. I then moved to Browning O/U.

If you're only going to buy one gun, (which you should) I'd get a sporting clays model. Trap or Skeet guns are too specialized. Sporting clays guns do it all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Trap is the only game where a specialized gun may help some. Trap guns are designed to shoot high so you don't have to cover the bird with the barrel when you shoot. It is very possible to do well with a flat shooting gun however.

If you want an O/U you have to find out a budget.

Cheap- Verona, Huglu (DHShotguns.com), Fausti
Low priced- Ruger, SKB, Winchester
Medium priced- Browning, Beretta, SKB
High priced- Kolar, Kreigoff
Insane priced- http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/ , Purdey, Holland and Holland

I know I left off a lot, but come on there are too many companies

G

·
id agree with Sander.

Ive only recently got into shooting, and wanted a gun to do it all. I checked out loads of reviews and opinions on the net and tried out a couple to see how I liked them. I went for the 391 because I didnt like the recoil of the U/O, and in my opinion you could get a better gun for less $ when buying an auto. The auto also has the advantage of holding more cartridges and you dont have to get used to firing a "2nd barrel".

I went for the sporting model, since I wanted to shoot skeet and sporting clays, then maybe try a bit of game when i get good enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after posting this I found out just how extensive, and helpful I should add, this site really is. I found out a lot of info that will help with that first purchase. Thanks to all. I'm leaving work a little early to head over to the shop and check out what they have. Thanks again for the insite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts