Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was trying to load up some 1 oz loads and was getting some weird behavior from my press. My usual and most often loaded load is 7/8 oz using a #30 bushing to get 15.7 grains of e3. For my 1 oz load, I've always used a #31 bushing to get close to 16.5 grains of e3.

So after loading up a bunch of 7/8oz shells, I set the press (MEC Jr BTW) up for 1 oz and start dropping some powder and weighing it. I can tell just by looking at the amount of powder I'm weighing that something isn't right. It's way low. Close to 15 grains. I go up to a 32 bushing, and that get's me back up where my 30 bushing gets me with my 7/8s load. I tear the press apart the press and set it back up with my 7/8s bar and 30 bushing to test it, and it works perfect. Put it back to 1 oz, and the problem comes back, too light of drops.

When sliding the 1 oz bar bar, something didn't feel right. It didn't feel like it was moving as freely as it should, and it didn't seem to be going as far back and forth as the 7/8s bar. I think maybe a peice of shot is getting in there and binding things up, but I can't say for sure. Anything I should try? Or just get another 1 oz bar to try out? This bar and bushing has always worked fine, but I am using a different brand of shot than normal. BUT, that shot worked fine with the 7/8s bar.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I see no way the shot can have anything to do with it.

Have you actually weighed the powder drops or are you just eyeballing them?

Are you running a few drops through, then returning them to the bottle, to let the powder stabilize in the bottle after you change bushings?

Is the powder bottle screwed down snugly?

Are you seeing any powder migration at the top of the charge bar?

Is the powder drop tube seated where it's supposed to be?

Is the charge bar housing going all the way down?

Is the bar's stop screw all the way in?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Case said:
I see no way the shot can have anything to do with it.

Have you actually weighed the powder drops or are you just eyeballing them?

Are you running a few drops through, then returning them to the bottle, to let the powder stabilize in the bottle after you change bushings?

Is the powder bottle screwed down snugly?

Are you seeing any powder migration at the top of the charge bar?

Is the powder drop tube seated where it's supposed to be?

Is the charge bar housing going all the way down?

Is the bar's stop screw all the way in?
Yep, I weigh them.

I return each drop right to the bottle. I drop seven or eight, and then I start weighing them for three or four drops, and if I don't see anything unexpected, then I start loading shells.

Bottle is down tight.

I only see powder migration when I take the brass washer out from under the rubber washer (I thought the brass washer was possible causing the problem, but it wasn't).

I'll have to check the powder drop tube, but I assume it's where it's supposed to be since the 7/8s loads were dropping fine.

Yes, the housing is down all the way, and the stop is screwed in all the way.

I'm at a loss, because like I said, that charge bar and bushing has always performed fine, the 7/8s one is working like it always has, and other than changing the bar and bushing, everything else with the press is the same as always.

Michael

·
Registered
185 Posts
The other day I bought a new charge bar at Bass Pro Shop and didn't pay too much attention. When I got home I realized I got a charge bar for MEC's progressive reloader rather than one for their single stage reloaders. They look pretty much the same but the single stage bars are marked with a "302" on the end.

Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be humidity, moisture, static or did you open up a new bottle of E3 recently? Powder from a different lot may throw a little different. I can't remember my exact charge, but I had to go up 1 or 2 bushing sizes from what Alliants book said to get the right charge with E3.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Slick13 said:
I'm at a loss,
So am I, Mike. And I'm out of questions, too.

Other than humidity or static just mentioned, unlikely I suspect, I have no idea what could be causing short drops with that particular bar.

It defies reason -- and experience.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Very interesting, the odd part is that your 7/8 oz bar and bushing works fine.

I got some questions were Case left off.

Does the 7/8 and 1 oz bars have the hard rubber insert in the bar? If so are they worn the same? Check the shot from a number of drops from the 1 oz bar if any are nicked or smashed etc.

See if you can find out what is causing the resistance to the 1 oz bar if not the shot. Try loosening the shot bottle then powder bottle just a little to see if the 1 oz bar move better.

See if the 31 bushing in the 7/8 oz bar drops the right amount.

If you can't figure out whats holding the 1 oz bar, try banging the bar harder with a consistent amount of force that is enough for the bar to hit the stop bolt both ways.

This most likely not related to your problem, but I suggest that you get the Pattern Control red plastic baffle. This baffle has a long enough spring loaded tube that you do not have to use the rubber grommet and brass washer. http://www.gamaliel.com sells them.

Last resort call MEC.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
i once had a small spider web in my powder drop tube causing erratic drops, a long shot i know, but worth a look.
I'd run the charge bars without the bottles on the press and look down in the holes from the top and make sure the bushings are going all the way over and lining up with the holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts