Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make a decision between installing ghost ring sights or a red dot sight on my Mossberg 590. Ghost rings would require smithing but they're smaller, no moving parts or batteries to worry about and they could survive getting banged around a little. Red dot sights can be mounted with no smithing (bought the weaver rail #417M), excellent sight aquisition, and just plain cool. Costs for the MMC tricon sights and the red dot sight are comparable.

Any opinions / suggestions?

M590 man

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your set on some aftermarket sight, i would go for the ghost rings for wider field of view and easier target aquisition plus, like you said, no worries about batteries and other crap failing. Keep it simple. I dont plan on shooting my HD gun long distances, so I just put a higher visibility bead on mine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey 590,

Glad you were able to find that Weaver rail...

The thing I love about my Aimpoint is that I can remove it and switch back to my big tritium bead for a no-nonsense, low-light CQB HD gun. When we go out to the rifle range, the Aimpoint and some rifled slugs make short work of tin cans at 50 yards. :)

Hard to go wrong with ghost rings, though. Either way, you'll have a versatile sighting system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Definatley Ghost rings! They handle recoil better and dont run out of "juice". :lol:

The Ghost Ring set up on my Bennelli is awesome and quick sight picture just as a red dot(batery dependant by the way) and accurate even more so at longer distance I think. Also you can get "night sites" for the ghost rings but a flash light mount is cheaper!
I use neiher. K.I.S.S. is a good moto for the HD Shotgun in my oppinion! 8)

G

·
Ghost Ring & Red Dot sites serve 2 different markets, I feel. That is, it depends on what u want to do with them.

Actually, at night, neither are cool for CQB! A Laser is the only way to go!!

Otherwise, I've had both (currently have the ADCO e-dot 30mm Holo type bought for less than $70). And even tho its `weak point' -if u will- is the fact that its battery-powered, its still absolutely NO effort to get out a dead-on instant first shot. Also, it doesn't just die on ya when the batteries need changing. U know for a while! And that's an important point to know.

NOW: Whether Red Dot would be more accurate at longer distances, though, than Ghost Ring, some manufacturers claim `Yes'; personally from my own experience, I'd say that claim would be pushed...

THX!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased an HK/FABARM Semi-Auto Tactical shotgun with LPA fiber optic ghost ring sights. There are 2 green inserts on the rear sight and a red insert on the front sight. This system seems to work very well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have and use Red Dot sights on a variety of firearms including shotguns for competition purposes. I would never use a Red Dot on any home defense firearm for two reasons. 1. You have to remember to turn it on. 2. Battery may be dead or there may be other malfunction issues. For the distances involved in home defense, no sights are needed other then perhaps a front bead assuming you have put in enough trigger time to be totally familiar with your firearm as you should with any self defense firearm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would (and have) opted for choice "C" on my HD shotgun:
None of the Above.

I don't like red dot sights on a HD gun for the reasons that others have given (reliability, fragility, etc) and for true HD apps, where the distance is likely to be measured in feet and almost certainly not more than 10 yards or so, you probably aren't even going to have time to use sights... or if you do, you'll probably be close enough that the simpler, quicker bead sight will suffice. Ghost ring sights are the rage, but seem to me to be geared more toward long range (25 yards plus) slug shots. And if you're taking a long shot with a slug in a HD scenario, you better have a DAGGONE compelling reason (or I hope you look cute in prison orange). Keep it simple.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
What about the Trijicon Reflex. No batteries to crap out (they're powered by tritium) and they're built like tanks. They're also offered in several different reticles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts