Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to convince my anti-firearms girlfriend to go shooting with me. She only shot a round of trap and a round of skeet. She did pretty good in my opinion. Especially considering the fact that the gun was way too big for her and was shooting a 12 ga (she's 5 feet tall). She shot 9 on her first round of trap and 5 on skeet.Anyways, she loves it now and I won't have to hide my guns from her anymore. =) A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice, No one knows what my first score in trap was cept me. you might wanna give chris some lesson's on that though if he's still got his woman. Philosophical purity is a bunch of BS! Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My wife is just getting into shooting. She has done one round of Sporting Clays, gone deer hunting (didn't see anything), and she went pheasant hunting once. We joined the local gun club for Christmas and she wants to kill lots of clays. Here's the problem. She has only shot a Rem 870 20ga. She wants a 12ga auto. She is small but tough (5' 3.5" tall farm girl). I was wonder your thoughts on an inexpencive 12ga auto with a small (yeah right) amout of kick. It can be heavy since it is only for deer and clays, she didn't take to bird hunting but may try it again. I was thinking of a Charles Daily with an anti-recoil device installed. Any other thoughts? Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Yes, run and hide from the CD.....not a good track record.Much of recoil is perceived, ie felt recoil. IF a gun fits correctly, then there is less felt recoil than one that does not fit correctly. The perceived recoil from an ill fit auto can be more than from a well fit double gun, even though the auto is using some of the energy to actuate the action.Someone will say the Gold...which is not inexpensive and I would say the 391, which also isn't inexpensive, however if you check the used market you can find a good deal on them. You would be better off going this route as they will last, be easy to find parts for in the event of a failure, and are readily modified.Check with the shooting club about an instructor or gunsmith that can fit a shotgun to her, rather than her try to fit a shotgun. This can make a world of difference to start with, then if needed options like recoil pads, recoil absorbing addons like DeadMule, or an actual piston device like a gracoil can be installed to really take the hit out of the gun.If you make this a pleasant experience to start, you'll have one more thing that yall can share together. Which is pretty cool. A friend of mines' wife refused to go for years, then finally gave in and went just a couple of years ago. She now reloads shells, runs the trap club a couple of days a month, and competes at the state level with her BT-99 that was fit to her. She is also deer hunting by herself and occasionally goes duck hunting with some of the guys while he has to work. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Rick. Take her to a store and have her take a look at all of the guns there and find a gun that fits her the best. If you can't find it at one store, try a different one. The worst thing you can do is rush and buy a gun that you will completely hate in the future. A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never owned on buy from what I hear, it's a black and white story. Basically you either get a lemon about 30% of the time or you get a good working one 70% of the time. That's just what I've heard. A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only thing I can say is the 11-87 that I own is a very soft shooter with target loads, it packs a punch when using 3" hevi-shot. But that is only for them little birdies.The fist semi I shot that made me want one was a S&W 1000it seemed to kick harder than my 11-87 not by much though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
with cds try and find out who makes the gun you want.Some of their guns are made by good manufacturers and some are made by lesser manufacturers.from their site:Where is my Daly firearm, imported by K.B.I., Inc., manufactured? Over & Unders:All of our Daly Over & Unders, including our Combination and Express Rifles, are manufactured by Sabatti of Italy: www.sabatti.it Side by Sides:Daly Field Grade guns are manufactured by Zabala Hermanos of Spain.Daly Superior and Empire grades are manufactured by Sabatti of Italy: www.sabatti.it Daly Diamond and Diamond Regent grades are manufactured by Grulla of Spain, www.grullaarmas.comSemi-autos and Pumps:All of our Daly semi-auto and pump shotguns are manufactured by Akkar, of Turkey: www.akkar.com.tr.22 Caliber Rifles:All Daly .22 Caliber Rifles are manufactured by Arms Corporation of the Philippines: www.armscor.com.phBolt action centerfire Mauser and Mini-Mauser rifles:All of our Daly bolt action Mauser and Mini-Mauser rifles are manufactured by Zastava Arms of Yugoslavia.Handguns:All grades and models of our Daly 1911-A1 are manufactured by Arms Corporation of the Philippines: www.armscor.com.phAll Daly Double Action pistols (DDA) are manufactured by Bul Transmark Ltd., of Israel: www.bultransmark.comso it seems their o/u and s/s are made by solid manufacturers where as the rest of their guns are made by more 'exotic' ,lets say, makers..bye their double shotguns and avoid the rest.Who buys zastava nowaday anyway??? ts ts Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another one on our side! Thats great and it can really mean more time at the range... i mean together.. lolLet her pick the rifle herself tell her opinion but dont push her into the decision (man push woman yeah right lol). She'll know what she wants and what fits her. She'll be happier and want to shoot "her" gun more often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.