Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering If you had input on Gander Mountain Gunsmithing. I really haven't needed to go to a gunsmith before, and the local GM is the closest gunsmith to me, and I checked the list here on SGW just incase. How do their prices compare to other smaller guns stores, and how is their job quality in your experiences? I would like to support a local gunsmith instead but there really isn't anything local. I wanted to put an supercell recoil pad on my relatively brand new Wingmaster that I love dearly, and I know it has to go through a grinding process. I also am not too mechanically inclined. Naturally, I want the best job done on it. Any kind of advice is appreciated.

UM Hunter.

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
Skeet_Man said:
remington advised me the supercell pads CANNOT be ground, or they'll disintegrate. Call them yourself to verify 18002439700 I got this in from them via their online q&a section.
Did they give you any indication of how one is supposed to fit them if you cannot freeze them and grind to fit? Unless thay have an alternative, that's a hell of a scenario. The ones they sell that are supposed to fit don't in my experience (synthetics aside), and now they say they can't be fitted? Boy, I hope they patented that so the dumbness doesn't spread.

Whoops - back on topic, sorry. Why would you think the Gander Mountain Gunsmith isn't local? I guarantee you he lives close. I have had dealings with two of them. They seemed to be knowledgeable and the work I saw was good. They also had a really incredibly novel approach to work that I hope catches on, they tried to maintain a schedule for completing work !! They didn't even keep it secret ! This could revolutionize the industry ! I even know a guy that wanted something done, and he got to keep his gun and was called when they could do the work.
Sorry for the rant, but there are sooooooooo many gunsmiths (not all) that when you ask WHEN?, you get the runaround. I don't care if it's June 1, 2013, by God I want to know when it will be ready.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Remington inquiring about the supercell for my Wingmaster about a month ago. I asked if they had made one to fit a wingmaster stock, and the Rep said that they hadn't. He also said the recoil pad would be a "Grind to Fit" if i ordered one, and said that's what I would have to do. He didn't say anything about it breaking apart if it had to be grinded. I'll have to call again to confirm this. Besides a supercell pad, has anyone put any other pads on their 870s that were very very close to the placement of the stock pad and the original LOP where you couldn't really tell the difference unless if it were in the recoil?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.