Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a 410 SxS in my future and wondering what the go to 1/2 ounce load for skeet seems to be.

I reload for 12 now and have for years but no idea on a 410 load. I've looked at the Alliant and Hodgeons sites. What seems to be the top favorite loads? Thanks

· Registered
12,843 Posts
Load the highest antimony shot that you can find: Remington if available

· Registered
191 Posts
Since you're new to reloading the .410, I'll just mention that Hodgdon's H-110 and Winchester 296 are the exact same powder, just labeled differently. Either will give you great loads in the appropriate velocity range 1200-1300 fps, and long hull life. -Ed

· Registered
5,824 Posts
Win AAHS hull
Win 209 primer
Claybuster CB5050-410HS Wad
Win296 or H110 powder (which are the same powder,so buy which every if less expensive), or 300mp, with powder bushing having a .297" id for any of these three.
If loading in a mec, then will need a PC baffle to prevent migration of powder out of the charge bar.
1/2oz Shot bushing reamed to drop 226gr of #9 shot.

· Registered
4,332 Posts

· Registered
1,732 Posts
H110 or W296, as has been mentioned. I load the hardest #9 shot I can get, which is usually just "magnum" from Eagle or Lawrence because it's all I can find. Just be aware that the older compression-formed hulls use a different recipe than the new style hulls

I think the old saying is true about not patterning your .410 reloads... it will only make you depressed! :wink:

· Registered
489 Posts
Dano523 said:
Ditto, since CF hulls will work just fine, but your not going to get 1350fps out of the load instead.
Which was the point I was trying to make believing the ops wanted the preferred skeet speed. Perhaps Bob can tell us how to pack 300MP into a CF hull to get 1300+.
{hs# {hs#
H

· Super Moderator
10,521 Posts
desmobob said:
. I load the hardest #9 shot I can get, which is usually just "magnum" :
Is there any truth to what I read some time ago.

All # 9 magnum shot is the same hardness. If they put more tin in it to make different degrees of hardness it does not drop round because it is so small in diameter.

Steve

· Registered
12,843 Posts
At one time Remington shot had 6% antimony: more than the competition

· Registered
4,332 Posts
HenryPeter said:
Dano523 said:
Ditto, since CF hulls will work just fine, but your not going to get 1350fps out of the load instead.
Which was the point I was trying to make believing the ops wanted the preferred skeet speed. Perhaps Bob can tell us how to pack 300MP into a CF hull to get 1300+.
{hs# {hs#
H
I will do no such thing. The OP asked for "1/2 ounce load for skeet". The standard Skeet load in a 410 has been #9 at 1200 fps for the 35 years I've been shooting registered Skeet. With the advent of Sporting Clays, the velocities for most SC loads is now in the 1300, 1300+ range. Remington and Winchester still advertise their Skeet loads in 410 as 1200 fps. I still load mine at the prescribed 1200 fps with Alliant 410. And CF hulls work just fine. Your statement was poorly worded and indicated just that CF hulls won't work for the standard 1/2 oz Skeet load the OP asked about. They do work, and I have no problem loading them even with 300MP. If you meant that they won't work with 300MP powder in a 1300 fps or a 1300 fps plus load, then you should have stated what you meant.

· Registered
5,824 Posts
HenryPeter said:
Dano523 said:
{hs# {hs#
H
I reload on a PW, which the sizers prevent hull budge when you are packing the hell out of the load and then crimping crimping, so using the older pink CF win wads designed for the CF hulls, and 226gr of shot, can get close to 1300fps with either H110/296 or 300mp; but just doesn't have the bark or bite of the 1350fps loads isntead.

Hence in 410, its really in your head that you are fighting with the mouser gauge, and when the loads do have the needed bark, and hit just as hard to dust targets as the larger caliber loads, not had to just treat it like a larger gauge to run clean with it as well.
Better yet, even at 1350fps where the loads are just vaporizing even pitch targets, there is no real recoil in the load, so allows you to stay head pinned to the stock for both shots, with no recover time between the shots as well (read able to shoot doubles even faster with the 410, since there is no recovery time after the first shot slowing you down on the second target grab).

So with 410 at 1350fps, just leaves a dust cloud where the target used to be when center punched, so your not wasting time looking at the first break to wonder if you're center punched it or not (don't want chunky breaks), and just go on with life grabbing the second target faster to vaporize it with out a second thought.

As for patterning 410 with 226gr of shot and 1350fps, it not at bad as one would think. You still get some light coverage areas within the working pattern (that will change from shot to shot) but not so large that you could drive a truck through if choke up wrong isntead. So for skeet, start with .004" restriction chokes and if one of your breaks is not hard enough as desired with a center punch, then drop in a .006" restriction choke for that barrel.

And again, it's 410 with no recoil even with a light field gun, so stay glued to the stock for the entire ride, including a little after the second target break as well.

· Registered
489 Posts
Thanks Dano for that great layout. I tried to load 1300 into 410 CF hulls on a 9000H but failed to pack the shot down to the crimp line. I acquired a bunch of CFs and was thinking to use them for higher speeds and save the HS for 1200 only.
I was told the Federal wads would get me there .... but all sold out. Maybe I'm missing something if you're doing it. I'll look for the older pink wads.
H

· Registered
12,843 Posts
I have loaded close to 16 grains of 296 into cf hulls using both federal and the old pink Win wads with just a smidgen less than 1/2 oz of shot and it all fits. Roster talks about this problem in a couple of old articles that he wrote. I no longer load to those levels and I find 1200 FPS perfectly adequate for my skeet shooting. If I need more ballistics then I move up to 3" hulls

Reactions: J.Fred_Muggs

· Registered
2,574 Posts
"Go To load"?

Mostly, and currently, I load(ed) AA410cf hulls with ~13.5 grains of WW296, WW-209 primers (mostly), and several different wads. For wads I got a slightly better fit with PC orange wad.

Fit was a bit better with the latest versions of the AA410cf hulls.

I didn't open the shot cavity on my MEC bar with AA410cf hulls.

I also loaded 4 or 8 pounds of Alliant 410 powder at <=11.5 grains. It worked. A bit less powder drool with it.

I once spent a winter counting pellet holes in 410 patterns. Magnum shot didn't really improve the patterns. Literally everything I used produced patterns in the optimum range according to "Shotshell Ballistics for Windows".

· Registered
1,069 Posts
With orange PC wads if you still have them or yellow Duster you can get enough shot 226gr (+ a pellet maybe) and 300MP in a CF hull to dance all around 1300 fps but you don't have anymore room. I've been shooting them for 2 years. As Dano said, you can't make them "crack". Going back to 410 for this year.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts