Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am virtually new to serious turkey hunting. I used factory full choke last year. A friend of mine had the Gobblin' Thunder and and had a lot better group than my factory choke.(ALOT BETTER) What is the best shot size for shooting turkeys and what diameter tube works best with specific shot size?

Mossberg12
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/31/03 9:16:20 pm)
Reply Re: Gobblin' Thunder-Which choke tube diameter and/or PRO &a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Extra full choke or Super full chokes are good. Also #4's are good for the shot size. Mossberg12

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(4/1/03 10:31:05 pm)
Re: Gobblin' Thunder-Which choke tube diameter and/or PRO &a
Actually #4's arent always the best choice. Pellet count to pattern density generally shows better patterns with smaller diameter pellets especially with aftermarket extended tubes.

The compnchoke site has some suggestions using Winchester loads and the compnchoke tubes.

www.turkeyhuntingsecrets....nchoke.htm

I think Nitro does a more extensive job, if you scroll down a bit there is a section with choke recommendations and their loads.

www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

These are still just bases to start from, you will need to check your gun with loads and chokes to get the best pattern.
There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

G

·
I myself used a factory full this past spring on a tom, and it worked... at 8 yds. Alot of friends have tried various other chokes and still haven't got a good pattern. I myself went & bought a Undertaker XX full & let me tell you I have never been happier. They make it for the gun you shoot. I'm not sayin anything negative about comp n choke in the least, but you might want to give it a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.