Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new(to me) Gold Hunter. I've been using it for duck hunting and so far so good. Question is: How far should I expect it to send the empties flying? I am amazed in that it seems to be kicking the shells out about 15-20 feet :shock: . Is this normal, it seems like a long way to me. These are 3.5in. steel BB loads at 1330fps. No wind to effect this either. My buddy's 1187 doesn't throw empties 1/2 this far. I am afraid of hurting someone else in the blind so I always take the far right end. Is there a possible problem with the gun? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
That sounds about right. I just made a comment to my buddy last weekend while out waterfowling on how far my Gold 3 1/2" was throwing the empties. They were closer to 25 feet out. They were 3 1/2" 1 3/8 at 1,550fps loads.

·
Registered
714 Posts
mine throws empty hulls 15 to 20 feet.and about 5 or 6 feet with 2 3/4" hulls

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have never measured it, but 20 feet sounds about right. One side benefit, could get a double with one shot if a duck/goose is flying a little too close around the right side!!!! :D

Glen

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've shot pump guns all my life until I got this Gold and was afraid that something was causing too much pressure. Glad to hear this is normal because so far I really like the gun. Just out of curiosity, my full choke tube does not specify steel or lead, is it ok to shoot steel shot through this full tube for goose hunting?

·
Registered
287 Posts
If your tube does not specify, I would personally not use it for steel. Browning says not to, but I do use IM for snow goose hunting, and have found no problems. Some guys do, though.

BTW my Gold shucks 'em at least 20 ft as well. While hunting out of layout blinds my shells go over my buddy's blind and past his 11-87 hulls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts