Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ruger site has the following sentence on the gold label page.

"Current models sold out, redesigned models available summer 2008"

Anyone have any information, (or even guesses) about what this "redesign" is. Is it minor tweaks to make the gun easier to produce, or is it a whole new deal?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Unless part of the redesign includes a "normal" safety/barrel selector; or at least the option of a traditional two trigger barrel selector :lol:, they might as well not bother IMO.

·
Registered
821 Posts
ShootingStar said:
Unless part of the redesign includes a "normal" safety/barrel selector; or at least the option of a traditional two trigger barrel selector :lol:, they might as well not bother IMO.
Given the prices GL's have been fetching at least some people don't agree with your humble opinion.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
clayflingythingy said:
Given the prices GL's have been fetching at least some people don't agree with your humble opinion.
Those are the same speculators who snapped up all the Winchesters that were collecting dust on dealers shelves, thinking that they would magically go up in price...

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
clayflingythingy said:
I hear ya. Hard to comprehend the insanity of some buyers {F* but I'll be the first to admit that a couple of years ago I should have snapped up every $2K Gold Label that came my way.

I'd probably be fondling a nice, new 20 ga. Fox from CSMC right now, and I wouldn't have a dime of my own money invested. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Mr. ShootingStar. I would hope that Ruger would include double triggers in any redesign of their Gold Label shotguns. It just seems to me that a single trigger takes away one of the big advantages a double gun can have, and makes the thing more complex to boot. :?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Frankly, I'll believe the new GL when I see it no matter what the Ruger site says.

As to two triggers to each his own. My first real shotgun was a Stevens 311 with twin triggers. I practiced, and shot, forward trigger first and left second IIRC. The supposed advantage of choke selection was not there for me as firing sequence was drilled in as learned. Never even thought about choke when drawing down on a bird.

Twin triggers wouldn't be of any use to me anyway as I now prefer Skeet/Skeet, IC/IC, etc when using a double with choke tubes.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I see they increased the price to $3200. That seems kind of high to me considering what you can by an AYA or even a Grulla for.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Being a Gold Label fan, I'd like to see it in 16, 20 and 28s. I prefer a double trigger, as well, but I set the barrel selection for the choke I have in. If the bird or clay is distant, then either shoot twice quickly or chance it on the first barrel. It took me a while to get used to a double trigger, but it is definiantaly an advantage in the field. Also $3200 is pushing it for an American gun (Ruger).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Someone within the last week posted on one of the forums, that they had spoken to one of the Ruger reps at the SHOT Show, who admitted that, despite the fact that the gun is in the 2008 catalog, the gun is basically history with little to no chance of being re-introduced. According to this account, the gun was the baby of old man Ruger who didn't care if it was a loss-leader but the current crop of bean counters running the company do care. Add to the cost/profit ratio problem ,the problems they have had with the gun and it does not look favorable that the gun will re-appear. Looks like it may go the way of the Hawkeye, the .357 Maximum, the Red Label trap gun, etc., etc...If you have one, hang on to it and send in your application to the Ruger Collectors Association.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.