Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shotgun available for around $300 or less that would be suitable
for home defense but also be good fun to shoot clays with?

As I understand it the ideal home defense shotgun has a short barrel so I'm
guessing this doesn't make it that accurate for much else?

I've been reading about the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The best all-around shotgun is the Remington 870. You might be able to find a 870 wingmaster for 300.00 if your lucky but if not the express is just reliable ,just not as eye appealing. In my opinion it is one of the best shotguns ever built. The mossburgs are good guns and some are really smooth pumping but none are in the same class as a wingmaster. :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mossberg 500 Field Combo - a full field stocked shotgun, 2 barrels, and pistol grip - <$300 new street price. Comes with a 28" barrel, 3 chokes, and 18.5" shorty(cyl), and pistol grip...

They're a Good first/only shotgun or second "field' gun where ya wouldn't take a more expensive shotgun. Let people call em cheap, but i like em in the field and theyre a good handlin, good shootin shotgun...

But like any pump, theyre not the best for skeet. I take mine to the skeet range quite a bit to keep sharp with it in the field, but do ask for doubles on report about half the time.... And the shorty(18.5') ain't all that inaccurate! It suprizzed me on skeet! I do break more with the longer barrel, but i still pop 12-15+ with the shorty!!!

I might even say, a Mossy 500 Field Combo could be the best, most versitle field gun ya can get!

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
I'd really like to help you out. But, the "one shotgun for everything" concept is completely foreign to me. However, when you reach the "I need an infinite number of shotguns specifically tailored to every conceivable situation" stage (it won't be long, once you get the bug) - I'll be able to help you out. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tal--I agree with you completely. If there was one even close to 'all around' there would not be 200 variations on the market--there would be one.

Besides, then I would only have one shotgun in my safe rather than the 16 that are there. :cry:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>Mossberg 500 Field Combo<<

This interests me greatly.... would this be available at Wal-Mart?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some, maybe... I saw a Mossy 500 combo in a Wally Superstore in Bennington, Vermont last Augest, but i never see em here in S Fla. Not all Wally's carry everything, some carry extra stuff, and some WallyWorlds are strange on guns. Wally lists a Remmington 1187 Premier for $599, but they never have one in stock and when i ask the Mgr he said he couldn't order guns in that store, he just gets his allotment... So maybe???

I saw 2, NewInTheBox, displayed at the PalmBeach Gunshow 2 weeks ago. One looked nicer than the other with a mapley nice grained stock, the other very light no grained wood - both $279. I noticed em about 10:30 when i got there, both were gone by noon... Local gunshows sometimes have some good deals, but at least ya find the dealers in your area that ya can work with...

The combo sets disappear FAST! Can be hard to find In-Stock.
Shop around, be patient, some look better than others(wood), but can be found <$300.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.