Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
tomorrows forecast in the agriculture lands south of Phoenix...

Sunny with a good chance of #8 lead showers... :wink:

-Please be safe...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
brianmayeux said:

-Please be safe...
...:lol:

·
Banned
488 Posts
I took off work on the 9/2 and 9/3 to get in two full days of hunting in since I have to work this weekend. This last week has just crawled by. Maybe I am crazy but it seems like my weim is even geting exicted for this week. I was getting my shotgun, ammo, and vest ready today and he kept smelling my shotgun and rubbing his face on my vest and then would try to stick his head in the back pouch. I am glad fall and bird season has arrived.

·
Registered
640 Posts
brianmayeux said:

-Please be safe...
That is funny... mind if I borrow it?

I have more doves on our farm this year than I've ever had. Only problem is they are using a single field that is about 10 to 15 acres. We are gonna have it maxed out with 6 hunters :)

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I can not wait. I just can't decide which spot to hit and where to set up. Dang what a problem to have. Dogs will go ape S--- this evening when I get home and start getting stuff ready. Scouted one spot yesterday and saw decent numbers, nothing like we had up untill a few weeks ago.

Good luck everyone and tell us hopw it went in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good Luck tomorrow Gents!

We don't get to start until Saturday, 9/5...but I can't wait!

Hope everyone takes their limit and that is a great forecast..."sunny with a good chance of #8 lead showers"! :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just found out they raised the daily limit in Missouri to 15. :D I can't my group to hunt in the AM so I won't be in the field until in the afternoon.

Good luck and be safe.

Dead Eye

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
We don't get to hunt until the fifth. Good luck to everybody though, and be safe.

BT

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
pheasent89 said:
Everyone ready for the 1st! got your license? shells? and fit into last years camo shirt?
It is becoming habit - I forgot to get my Federal Stamp for geese!! Not that I was planning to go tomorrow, going for dove as usual, but this is the second year in a row I forgot to get my stamp in August. Guess I should get it tomorrow on the way - just in case I see some local honkers that need to be sluiced to protect the environment!? :shock:

Good luck to all tomorrow, the seasons are finally here.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
Heading out to truck after I log off. Got my 12ga. #7 $ #2 steel, and new p.v.c. dove tree.
I can shoot 20 birds today, 15 dove and 5 geese. Some good meat is good, but all I really want is time in the woods.

Wish me luck. I pray a safe hunt for all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I couldn't wait until the PM si I am at the field on my blackberry. 30 minutes until shooting time.

This is now a public hunting place that was given to Missouri Conservation commission by my father and his partner who managed it many for quail.

Hunting in sunflowers with lots of others looking at all the flash lights.

Good luck to all.

Dead Eye

·
Registered
77 Posts
Eleven guys were in the field where I hunted. They all got limit or ran out of shells. LOL. Nothing was flying until about 7:15 then it took off. I stayed until 8:30 and they were still killing doves at other fields.

Dead Eye

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I got skunked today... couldn't make it out for the morning, so I went out after work... had a nice time sitting on the edge of a pond. Saw a few, but they were FAR off... headed towards bigger water.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a good day at all yesterday. Did not see a dove at all from 12.00 to 5.30 , then at 5.30 it got hot and heavy for a while knocked down 6 and could only find 1. I was with 2 other guys and all together 3doves . also they were knocking them down but the cover was so high and thick retrieves were so hard. not going to that spot again

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Rode the field with my farmer where we will hunt Sat. when the season opens here. It is a 180 acres. Three days ago it had 500-700 birds in it. Yesterday eve. there must have been close to 1500- 2000 birds(I mean LOADED with birds) that got up when riding the field. He harvested this corn field later than most. It has been dry and cool the last few mornings. Supposed to be scattered rain on Sat. Sure hope it does not mess things up as it does not take a whole lot to move them out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I did the public land thing here in Kentucky yesterday. Shooting hours started at 11AM. 11AM-11:30 killed 2, pretty quickly - would have gotten a couple more most likely but one went into some brush and it took me about 20 min to find it even though I knew EXACTLY where it fell. By the time I got the bird out, the shooting cooled off.

From 11:30-3:30 I chatted with other hunters, ate lunch a couple of times (I brought a lot of food), and almost fell asleep for awhile (maybe more than almost).

3:30-6:00 I shot limit (15) the hard way (lots of singles flying high).

End up burning 58 20 gauge shells.

Not great shooting, but I did lose one bird to a brier patch and one to the guy shooting a couple of spots down that was convienced that he made an 80 yard magic BB shot on it with his 20ga IC choke...even though it was RIGHT over me...I didn't put up any argument as I had centered it from about 30 feet w/ a Light Mod load of 7.5's and pretty much turned it into a bean bag... but I did have a string of 3 birds in a row that I blew 3 shells each one before I remembered that sustained lead doesn't work on a ducking and dodging dove like it does on a clay target - went to pass though and started putting them in the bag again.

After I shot number 14 I realized that my wife was expecting me at home for dinner and started packing up. The guy on the next stool was giving me some grief about leaving before I hit the limit and I told him that I would easily bag one on the way to the truck (not thinking I would). Walking back to the truck one little bugger was flying HIGH over the center of the field and had been missed atleast 20 times, I dropped my bag, and took it with one shot and actually got a cheer from the side of the field that had been throwing lead at it.

All in all, a pretty good day for a public lands shoot. Heck of a lot better then going to work (where I am right now, with a sunburn).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Glad you guys got to hunt! We don't start until Saturday and I can't wait!!!!!

Going out tomorrow evening after work to shoot a little skeet to warm up...man, we can't wait!

Saturday morning, get up and load the truck with coolers, ice, drinks, chairs, guns, etc. and head over for our annual cookout - hot dogs this year and some pork (all homemade) and talk turkey with the bros, friends and kiddos. Throw a little football, ride a 4 wheeler and eat more junk than I should! Then off to the fields in the afternoon...we've seen a lot of birds this year - let's hope the weather holds out!

Good luck to the rest of ya'll!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.