Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I've talked with one major retailer in the country who is hoping for some relief mid-next year. It's tough for them, too, because they don't want to get stuck with an inventory that cost them a bunch but that they have to sell at a loss because the market has come down so much.

G

·
My friend base metal guru at the LME is saying that lead demand is brutally high in China. They are making this new motor bike called an E-bike - lead battery powered - and they are making them at a rate of 60 million a year. Not to mention 100 million new gas autos every year that need lead batteries. The lead batteries in the E-bikes last for a year before needing replaced. Demand in China for non-chinese lead concentrate to fuel their smelters is increasing. They are importing more lead and exporting less lead. Not good for the lead shooting sportsman. Net shortfalls forecast for CY '08 even with producers scrambling to ramp up. He says look for no significant reduction to bagged shot prices in CY '08. For what that is worth, there you go: You know what I know.

Time to start a reclaim business.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think we will all be shooting steel in a few years :(
The steel shells are already cheaper than lead in Iceland,but then again a box of 7/8oz no9 is about 9-10$ so cheap isn´t the right word :x
best regards.
Mannsi.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Saw a news item today that India will soon surpass China for growth in the auto market. Their Skoda will no doubt suck up some more lead!

·
Banned
1,797 Posts
I saw a History Channel/Discovery Channel show about lead. In the USA, almost all lead from car batteries is recycled back into that use. It seemed from the show that recycling car batteries hasn't yet developed in China and India. That struck me as odd, as the recycling process is a nasty labor intensive process. They'll figure it out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Right you are, Skeet!

The longer term looked like lead would finally sort itself out. But the shorter term was the problem as the initial demand for lead would create a shortage. As you say, once a market for recycled lead develops, things will look better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts