Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, in Southern Manitoba Canada, we only see snow geese and canada geese. I'm intrested in pictures of other breeds and it would nice to see a speckle belly or ross's goose up these ways one day. Out of curiosity, occaisonally we'll bring home a very small grey goose. We just assume its a baby blue goose but I'm starting to wonder. I got one last weekend. It was very small, the mallard that my roomate shot had bigger breasts after cleaning the 2 birds. and the color was solid grey. Am i correct to assume it's a young blue, also it had black feet. Are snow geese white at there entire age or are do they have some grey. Some ppl have told me that a blue is a young snow, but I know thats not true. Also, do these species ever breed and make snowadian geese or rosckle bellied geese. by the way i also shot a canada goose with a band on its leg about 2 weeks ago. (so proud) :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its beak was completely black... like i said, this bird isn't rare, i shoot a few a year, but becuase this color combo is always on a TINY goose, that leads me to believe its either a young snow or blue... considering the geese species in this area.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
The small dark grey goose you got was a juvenile blue phase snow goose, the white phase juveniles are a lighter grey. It takes nearly two years for a snow to reach full adult plumage. Blues do not turn into snows but they are considered to be color phases of the same species. I have heard of some cross breeding between a speck and a Canada but have not seen one. I have not heard of a snow/Canada cross but have seen Canada/domestic crosses that had unusual white patches on them. As for specks, where abouts in Manitoba are you? I have seen specks as far east as Mariopolis and Holland and have also shot several around Souris and Bossevein over the years. The closer to the Saskatchewan border, the better the chances of seeing them. A Ross looks just like a snow except there are no blue phases and they are the size of a mallard. They often are seen flying with the snows, look for a very small, fully colored snow in a flock. We took two of them this week in the Ninette area and usually get at least one each year we are up there. They decoy readily as a single, they are nearly suicidal.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
:) My guess would be you are talking about an immature blue goose. I have shot a few of them in Nebraska and their size is smaller then a mature snow. The easiest way I can identify the Ross goose is by its head. It's half the size of a snow and its beak is usually half the size of its head. I have a few pictures of a mature blue in full plumage if you want it. email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

I may be wrong on this but my understanding is the blue and snow are separate species that inter breed. Immature snow geese that I have seen have patches of grey/blue grey on them immature blue geese are grey and might have some white on there head. The mature blues have a white head and hence we call them eagle heads around here.

I stand corrected. The goose has two color phases white and blue. The geese appear in both color phases east of the Great Plains, but the dark color phase is rare west of the Great Plains. The goose has a white body and wings with black wing tips. In the blue phase head and upper neck are white with a slate gray body. Mature birds average 27 to 28 inches in length.

Gary Bottger

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
funny that you mention the ross goose, becuase a lot of times i see tiny geese in a flock of snows, I always assumed they're young ones, but since i always shoot at the biggest goose, (lol) i never get to see them. in actuality, i eat a lot of goose, and i find that snow/blue geese are better than canada, and the best of all is a young one. I'll be out tonight and I'll be dropping the "small" geese or at least try. I still have about 18 geese in the freezer from the past month. my roommate and i susally eat goose twice a week. Theres goose stirfry monday and shakeand bake goose wednesday. somtimes we sneak in a goosejerky thrusday. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.