Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
NO,

Use Hevi-Shot #2 or #3 shot for long range #4 shot for close over decoys.

These shells are REALLY expensive but worth every penny. You will not get cripples and have to shoot another shot. Pay the extra.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlptexashunter said:
NO,

Use Hevi-Shot #2 or #3 shot for long range #4 shot for close over decoys.

These shells are REALLY expensive but worth every penny. You will not get cripples and have to shoot another shot. Pay the extra.
Thank you Sir,

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
As your original question was, do you have to use 3-1/2" shells, I suspect that the texashunter may have meant to say NO.

Using the 3" shells with the hevi-shot loads he listed, you would probably be fine. Pass shooting with "regular steel" shot, I think 3-1/2" do have an advantage over the 3" regular steel shot shell. I would suggest using BB, or BBB in that case. Over decoys I have been using 3" regular steel, with BB, and BBB, and have found no problem knocking the larger Canada's down. Once they start getting away from you though, you better hold off shooting rather than risk a cripple.
The hevi-shot, tungsten-steel, and bismuth shot carrys a little more density, and will penetrate a bird better, using 3" shells just fine, and because of this density you can use smaller shot sizes as he suggests, which will also help your pattern density. I think with the larger geese, I would stay with 2's and 3's even with the heavy type shot. JMHO

Hope this helps. :lol:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The theory tha 3.5s give you longer range doesn't seem to hold up in practice. For the loads you generally get one of three things, (1)More pellets at the same velocity, (2)the same amount of pellets at a higher velocity, (3)or way more pellets at a lower velocity. Since the key to killing with steel is pellet energy than velocity is your friend. Load (1) will not improve the killing range of each pellet but give you a few more, which might extend the effective range by about 5 yards because more could hit the vitals with enough punch to do the job. (2) is the option that would increase killing range but gives a thinner pattern so careful attention to choke selection is required. Also high velocities tend to blow patterns, making a thinner pattern even worse. (3) makes it easier to kill bigger things at closer ranges but easier to cripple things farther away. This is why Hevi-Shot is the best answer, it retains its pellet energy much better so can kill cleanly at greater differences without sacrificing load size.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
you need the the 3 1/2 if you hunt in southeren california :wink: high flying honkers and specks
cabelas 3 1/2 hevi-shot bb shot size...I wish I had it last year

now no geese are safe 8)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here's a more or less unpopular, or at least controversial, idea: use Hevi-shot (or in my case bismuth, since I have an older gun with a fixed modified choke). Just don't shoot until the geese are close enough and you are sure you have a solid chance of a clean kill at your level of experience and ability. I've been pass shooting sea ducks from an anchored boat in open water for years. Yes, I have to let some go. But just consider the idea that less is more. As a hunter, I like to touch the world lightly. Maybe you'd like that too--just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts