Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for about 2 hours this afternoon. 50 degrees. Light wind from the SSW. All the leaves are off of the trees. Peak afternoon activity period (by solunar tables in Field & Stream) 5:10 PM. I got there at 3:30, and stayed until about 5:20. Perfect hardwood forest, close to a creek, a little ways back in the woods, nests everywhere. I didn't see a thing. That's happened to me the last 8 times I've been. I too a friend last year and he shot one, but other than that, none have fallen since 2005. Any Ideas?

BT

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Beginner Trap said:
Went out for about 2 hours this afternoon. 50 degrees. Light wind from the SSW. All the leaves are off of the trees. Peak afternoon activity period (by solunar tables in Field & Stream) 5:10 PM. I got there at 3:30, and stayed until about 5:20. Perfect hardwood forest, close to a creek, a little ways back in the woods, nests everywhere. I didn't see a thing. That's happened to me the last 8 times I've been. I too a friend last year and he shot one, but other than that, none have fallen since 2005. Any Ideas?

BT
For best luck with squirrels, I usually go early in the morning (in the woods for sunrise), sit absolutely still in a feeding area --oak and hickory; nuts = squirrels-- with full camo on (including gloves and headnet), up against the base of a big tree. After about 10 minutes, everything seems to forget you're there and the woods come alive.

I really think wearing a camo headnet helps a lot. Covering up the human face seems to transform you into just another lump or stump.....

I know this is a shotgun forums site, but I prefer a scoped .22LR rifle or T/C Contender pistol.

Good hunting,
desmobob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. Maybe you should go back to hunting deer. I'm not trying to be funny but if you are walking through the woods and not seeing any squirel maybe you should just go out there and pick a spot to just sit for a while like you are deer hunting. It seems that when ever I sit still in the woods like I am deer hunting I can usually hear the squirels and then see them. And there has been many a time sitting there waitilng for deer that I wished I had a .22 so I could put a few of them little annoyances in the frying pan.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I kicked butt in the early squirrel season. Here in PA it's out for alittle while now but, will be back in soon. Don't know what you are doing wrong but, try a few things differently. 1.) Try the early A.M. thing. Get in there before the sun comes up. They love to break out early. If it's real cold that does slow them down some and they are not as eager. 2.) Instead of setting right in the heart of mast and den trees set up near some trees that have fallen with alot of limbs and trunks. Squirrels are attracted to this stuff, it's good ground cover for them. 3.) Camo is all well and good. Here in PA you have to have 250 sq. in. combined on head and chest/back. I just don't over do it with the orange. I love to still hunt them as well as setting for them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hey, they are not the brightest animal in the woods. But they are far from being stupid. Once they get shot at alittle they do smarten up some. The have good ears, good eye sight and they may be able to smell pretty good also (not sure but I think so). You should also do real well just before the sun goes down. I find this time of day they are the most active.

Too bad we don't live close to each other. I'd like to give your woods a shot for those busheytails. They are not all dead either. If you shoot 5 of them, 10 are ready to move in. Keep working at it, it will come together.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I recommend finding trees very close to a major food source. Up here we have shelter belts with corn fields right up against them, sometimes on both sides. We have a lot of squirrels, and they can be had from dawn till about mid-day. They are noisy, curious creatures, and have been fairly easy to harvest here.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
go deer hunting and see more tree rat than you could imagine... well at least i do. im in the wood before sun up for them if not im almost positive ill get skunked that day. its like their watching me :shock:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Beginner Trap said:
Went out for about 2 hours this afternoon. 50 degrees. Light wind from the SSW. All the leaves are off of the trees. Peak afternoon activity period (by so lunar tables in Field & Stream) 5:10 PM. I got there at 3:30, and stayed until about 5:20. Perfect hardwood forest, close to a creek, a little ways back in the woods, nests everywhere. I didn't see a thing. That's happened to me the last 8 times I've been. I too a friend last year and he shot one, but other than that, none have fallen since 2005. Any Ideas?

BT
First thing you do is throw the so lunar tables in the trash.
2nd nest in trees don't mean didly this time of year.
3rd look for den trees Then have a seat & sit just as still as you would if deer hunting. Remember this time they have the tree stand you don't.
4th your perfect hard woods my not have any food left ,dig around in the leaves & i bet you won't find any.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't figure it out! I went to the country to shoot squirrels. Nary a one- only saw two!

Wife was at home with the air rifle (in town) and had four waiting for me -- she was defending her bird feeder!!!! :(

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hunting by yourself, take a 50 ft parachute cord with you. Before you sit down under the tree, tie it to a bush on the other side of the den tree. When the squirrels start moving, pull on the cord and shake the bush. The squirrels will move to your side of the tree to hide and stare at the bush. Easy pickings.

Me and my boys hunt about 50 yards apart. The squirrels I don't see will scramble around the tree to see where I am. My son gets the shot. Walk about 50 feet and stop. My son then walks up to me. When I am moving, he is stopped and looking. When he is moving, I am looking.

Lots of little tricks squirrel hunting. These are our favorites. We use 20 gauges with #6 Wallyworld promo loads. We get a lot of squirrels every time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
First off, before you leave home take something out of the freezer to thaw for dinner.
When you arrive at your woods make all of the noise you can while walking out to where your going to set up, make it sound like a parade is going through.
When you get to a good spot to sit, kick all of the leaves away and spread out a nice warm blanket or tarp. Have a seat and lean back against the tree and snuggle down into your jacket or parka, cover half of your face, hands in pockets and have one of the best naps you could imagine.
When you wake up look around and then get up, return the leaves as they were when you arrived and go home.
Your rested and refreshed and you have something at home ready to be fixed for dinner.......... PLUS, you didn't waste any ammo...... Works for ME......

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Bailey Boat said:
When you wake up look around and then get up, return the leaves as they were when you arrived and go home.
Your rested and refreshed and you have something at home ready to be fixed for dinner.......... PLUS, you didn't waste any ammo...... Works for ME......
A nap in the woods is almost always part of my fall hunting outings. There is no more peaceful rest. :)

Good hunting,
desmobob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.