Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently inherited a 12 ga. single barrel shotgun that was my great grandpa's gun. I got it after my grandpa past away. I don't really know anything about it other then my grandpa hunted with it in the early 1900's and his dad hunted with it before that. The only distingusing things that I can tell you are that it doesn't have a name on it that I can find. The top of the barrel is steel stamped with "ROLLED STEEL". There is a horse standing on it's hind legs on the butt of the gun. There is a number stamped on the side of the barrel that can only be seen when the barrel in broken down and the number is "3347". The lever to break the gun down is a top lever. There is a lever on the side of the gun, near the trigger, that you have to use to "cock" the internal firing pin. There are no external hammers. There is also a cover on the side of the gun opposite the cocking mechinizm that looks as though it would give you access to the cocking mechinizm and the working internals of the trigger. I am just trying to find out some info on this old family gun and would appriciate any help that you may have.

Josh

·
Registered
332 Posts
Are you sure that lever cocks the firing pin or is it a safety? The horse sounds like the Colt emblem, but Colt never made a single shot shotgun that I can find. I searched for "rolled steel" and found references to Neumann Freres, Leige, Belgium, but they said "Best Rolled Steel". Are there any other marks on the gun: crowns, ovals or diamonds with numbers or letters in them, stars? Proof marks could point to a particular country of origin, but if it is from the US, there won't be any. Lacking any name, my only suggestion would be to go to the library and look up Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and The Standard Catalog of Firearms. Then go through all the books in that section looking for a picture that matches your gun. If you find any information, please come back to this forum and share it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am sure that it cocks the firing pin and is not a safety. I know this because of two things. First, if you break the barrel down and then put it back into place and pull the trigger the trigger moves but nothing happens. Second and more importantly when the barrel is broken down and you move the lever you can physically see the firing pin cock, i.e. you see it recess back into the opening that it is sticking out of. There are some marks on the the wood stock and hand grip on the bottom of the barrel that resembles a mesh pattern, i.e there are several lines that cross on another, one set in one direction and one set in the opposite direction.
I will take your advice and try to get to the library next week and see if they have those books and look through them. At this point that seems to be my only option. If I find anything out I will be sure to let you know. Everyone I have spoken to has completey drawn a blank. So I will let all know so that if this comes up again maybe someone will remember and help that person out.

Thanks again for the book idea,

Josh

·
Registered
185 Posts
We ALWAYS are...Detective MarlandS!
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well MarlandS it does sound like my gun. A picture would be great but as far as the discription it sounds just like it. I think the only thing about it that would throw me off would be the horse on the butt plate. But I will follow your lead and see if it pans out to be the one. It is definately the only lead I have had so far so I won't even think about not investigating it further.

My hats off to you MarlandS!!!!!!!! :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am still looking for a picture of this gun. I have found some more stuff on the gun that makes it sound like it could be what it is but I still haven't been able to see a picture. Do any of you have to ability to send direct me to a picture of it?

Oh yeah there is still that blasted horse emblem on the butt plate that looks like a Colt emblem. :x I guess it could be off of a different gun but it sure fits it perfectly.

If it is a No.3 what is the value of it? Any idea's????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been having some interaction with Remington and they said that if it was a Remington it would be clearly marked. So they do not feel that it is a Remington. Is this true or not? I don't know! I have heard that Remington produced a gun that didn't have a marking on it but it wasn't like mine. So I will have to continue looking and keep the Remington in mind. I am also going to look back over my gun for markings and such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.