Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on this forum ever attended this event? It looks like a serious competition for some, a fun shoot for most, and a great social gathering. For me it would be about looking at all the incredible vintage shotguns and shooting some of the events.
http://mrcsportsmansclub.com/GreatNorthern/GNgallery.htm

There isn't much talk about it on any other forums either.
I did find this: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447868

Any first hand reports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I attended this year and you have it right. It is a fun event. There are also plenty of vendors. Most are there for fun. Plenty of guns for sale and some had decent prices. If you like side by side shotguns this is the place. {hs# RB

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hate that at work they block shotgunworld.com. Got home just a bit ago and owe you an email as it is. But taking off work tomorrow to go shoot at Woods and Meadows in Wi. with a friend in the morning and getting up at O'dark thirty so decided to post here in case anyone can add more information.

I never really got into SxS guns, growing up South of Ithaca if you had a blunderbuss on the fireplace mantle you had history. A couple of General Sullivan cannon balls on the fireplace ledge that you pulled out of the fields, that had history too. But if you were only had a SxS, not so much. And most that were stuck with such a gun couldn't hit much with them including me, guess that has set a bias for many years with me.

2012 went to the Flatwater shoot in Nebraska, a friend I grouse hunt with talked me into it. Didn't know any better and took my Joel Etchen 12 ga. custom 682\687 custom combo. On one station as 2 squads happened to converge on us someone (OK his name is Tiny and he is huge) grabbed my gun from me and one after another they put SxS guns in my hands, mainly sub gages. Later they said I shot more than a quarter million dollars worth of guns in less than 10 minutes. Didn't miss a bird either although the presentations were soft. And the guns were mainly European with a lot less drop than most early American guns. Kind of warmed me up to barrels that twisted the wrong way...

On Upland Journal we have a Midwest Yuk fest each year and I have been the chief cook and bottle washer since the beginning, but missed the last 2 years for family reasons. We have settled on Wild Wings near Lomira WI. for the last few years. One thing we have learned is to not conflict with the Great Northern SxS shoot so normally align a week or 2 on either side of it.

In July the Duluth Double Gun Side X Side Classic takes place at the Old Vermilion Trail Hunting Preserve north of Duluth, MN. From those that have attended it is also a heck of a shoot.

There are others, if you own a SxS which I don't. So I am missing out on some unique opportunities here in the region. But if you do own a SxS there are a lot of great shoots out there and many if not most are in it for the fun of it, not the score. Some are very serious about it, but most seem to be in it for fun. Woods and Meadows is 2.5 hours from here at Warrens, WI. and I have never shot it so looking forward to it. They also hosted the 13th annual Warrens WI SxS Fun Shoot this year.

There is the Sweet 16 shoot in St. Paul Mn. each year too, that one I have attended. There is the 1st Annual Tunnel of Trees SXS Tournament and game fair Sept 16th- 18th 2016 in Mi. SxS guns are a very fast growing venue. I like the fact that most people seem to do it for fun. Unlike Trap and ATA.

Mike

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike, at least you have a good reason to be out of touch! I wish I could shoot today but I was traveling again.
I've heard of all the shoots that you mentioned, but I've just started buying side by sides, so I didn't actually start investigating any of them until now. I learned about the Medford event when I caught an episode of Northland Adventures featuring Mark Beasland from Marks Born Again Bird Guns. http://www.mbabllc.com/mark_beasland_video.html
I made a mental note to attend when I had the chance. Also, my dad lives 45 minutes from Medford so that is a plus.
Hope you're having fun today... shoot straight.
Dave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention about this shoot is that many of the shooters were using golf carts or 4 wheelers to get around. I do not mind walking so it was no big deal. Regards RB

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional information. I saw on the web site that the club suggests bringing your own atv's. I assumed it was either a big layout or older clientele or both!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ithacaskbfan said:
Thanks for the additional information. I saw on the web site that the club suggests bringing your own atv's. I assumed it was either a big layout or older clientele or both!
You have it right, both... {hs# RB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts