Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great Question. I'm 21 yrs. old now and when I was seven or eight I had a G.I. Joe action figure (one of the small ones about 1/4 the size of the palm of your hand) that had a finger sticking out on one of his hands to hold a little gun or something. Well I was out back of my old house in Conn. shooting stuff up with my BB gun as usual, and my dad said he'd give me $50 dollars if I could shoot that little finger off from maybe 15 or 20 feet away (a feat which he obviously and foolishly deemed impossible). I laid down in the grass, lined it up in my crappy sights, and let it fly. The finger vanished, my dad fell over backwards from a kneeling position, and I jumped for joy like I never did before or since. We still laugh over it today and he held his word and paid up!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When I was 10 I used to stand on top of the traphouse and shoot my little Stevens .410. Anything I hit at that time as an eager kid was quite somthing as I remember :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
one of my friends who also just started shooting skeet shot a double from station 7 with one shot. We were both like, WOW. So then he said he wanted the double again cause he wanted to do it the right way. So i pushed the button for the double and once again he blew both of them apart with the first shot. Also saw a guy take the cap off a 20 ounce pop bottle from about 40 yards away with no scope.

The best shot i would have to say i ever made was when i was around 9 and my dad set a clay pigeon up about 40 yards away and handed me his 20 gauge with a slug in it and said, "Shoot that target over there." So with the one slug he gave me and first time shooting a gun at all i shot the pigeon. First shot with a gun i ever took

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I was 13, I shot a round of skeet with a Thompson Contender pistol chambered in .410. I hit 7 out of 25. If you didn't pick the clays up quickly there was no chance in Hades of hitting them. Good thing I was allowed to shoot singles.

Slightly off topic, the most incredible thing I have ever seen was a guy shoot doubles on a skeet range with a single shot 16 gauge on station one. Busted 5 doubles in a row until he got tired. While he had to lean around the corner of the high house to shoot the second bird, I was still in awe !

He said he learned to hold a shell in his right hand for quick follow up shots as he nor his family could afford a pump gun. Just shows how people can overcome any obsticle laid in front of them, if they set their mind to it.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My wife's first shot from a pistol (S&W 6904). Never shot anything before, not even a sling shot as far as I know of. I was shooting at a target and asked if she wanted to try it. She agreed and I explained how to line up the sights, squeeze the trigger, and BLAM! :shock: Dead center of the target where the two lines meet from about 15 feet away. :? It couldn't have been more centered. I asked her to shoot again. She laughed and walked away. :wink: That was about 15 years ago and the only thing she's shot since was a youth 870 - about three times.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Last season while dove hunting I found a #7.5 Hevi-Shot shell in my pouch, I chambered the round and I yelled "behold the power of Hevi-Shot" then I said to myself "the next high-flyer (dove) is goin' down".
The next dove that flew by was good 70-75 yds in the air.(I have never seen a dove fly that high that before or since) Then I cracked of a single shot and a split second later the dove tumbled, and tumbled and tumbled and tumbled. No one could believe I made that shot, hell I'm still shocked that I made it. That shot earned me the nickname of "that lucky s.o.b" for the next few weeks
That's the best shot I've made...............for now :wink:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
My best shot would probably be in 5-stand when I shot a falling target about an inch from the ground.

Also at 5-stand I waited to late on a far away target and I needed to use up the shell so I took the shot an I hit it!

My funniest shot was on a Report in 5-stand and I cracked the first target in half and forgot about the second target and hit the first one again. You would have to be there for it to be funny.

G

·
Iowa 2nd Shotgun Season for Deer in 2001: I was shooting my 870 smoothbore w/ rifle sights. Had a group of deer running to my left. I pulled up and shot, and a 7pt buck dropped in his tracks. Upon inspection, I hit him just at the base of the head where the neck joins. I paced it off at 65 - 70 yards. I KNOW it was pure blind luck. Told the rest of the party that was exactly where I was aiming. No one believed me of course. Later that day I dumped a nice doe at about 40 yards. RUNNING BROADSIDE TO MY LEFT, AND HIT HER IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday :lol:

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
My best shot was with a cap and ball, Colt 1860 Army revolver that I carried for fun when I walked the pasture checking stock and fence. One day, one of the cows got the stupid notion (is there any other for a cow?) to run me down. She came at me and I was able to dodge but tripped and fell. She turned and I drew the gun and shot her dead center in the head when she came back at me. I was just trying to hit her so I was pleased with the result. She dropped right in her tracks and I was surprised to find the ball stuck in the skull, just under the skin. Now I know why a handgun was such an important part of a cowboy's outfit and I also carry a bigger gun along with a 2x4 when in the pasture.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was in junior high, a buddy's dad dropped us off out in the dunes in Potholes State Park for a few days of fishing and camping. The three of us were fishing early the next day, and the sea gulls kept bothering us. One of my friends had an air pistol, and he thought he'd scare them off. He shot from the hip at a gull flying about 25 yards away, and when he pulled the trigger, the thing dropped dead out of the sky. It was a complete fluke, and all of us knew it, but the other guy and I were very impressed.

Gulls are protected birds, and he panicked when he realized he'd killed one. He weighted the bird down with all the lead sinkers he had with him, and sunk the bird.

G

·
Back in the 70s there was a guy at the club where I shot who used to humiliate the rest of us by dragging (literally holding it by the barrel and dragging it on the ground) his beat up Mossberg bolt action shotgun to the range. He would shoot a couple of 25s, then drag it back and toss it into the bet of his pickup. I don't think he ever cleaned it. This was strictly a stunt. He had real guns and could shoot them well, but I have never seen anyone shoot perfect skeet with a bolt action before or since.

G

·
im 12 and just got my first turkey. i shot it with a .410 from 20 yrds and hit it 3 times in the head and twice in the neck. didnt hit anything else

·
Registered
300 Posts
Several years back I was at an outdoor handgun range with a friend.We had cooked up some real stout handloads for his .44 Mag S&W 29.We are blazing away,having a ball.Up comes this bullseye .45 shooter.Says can I shoot that cannon.Sure , go ahead.He takes that bullseye stance,one hand in back pocket.We say, hold up there , get both hands on it in a firm grip.He tells us "Don't tell me how to shoot a handgun boys".So we stand behind this nut.He pulls the trigger and this 4" Model 29 has now implanted the hammer spur in the top of his head.He drops to his knees,blood running out his head.My partner grabs his .44 before it hits the concrete.Stupid man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Many years ago as a teenager, I was shooting at Starlings in the backyard with a nice European airgun. This bird was on a limb in the Maple tree and I shot it. When I did, the bird kept his grip on the limb and turned upside down, wobbled a few times and hung there! He stayed in the tree for 5 or 10 minutes before he fell.

Looked like something out of a cartoon...

Rawhyde

·
Registered
573 Posts
I took a rifle marksmanship class in college. One day we were in the indoor range with small targets that simulated 50 yards. We had just been given permission to begin firing. My first shot misfired. As I started to lower the rifle and figure out what happend the round finally went off. It bounced off the cement floor and nailed the bullseye perfectly. It was one of the best shots of the day!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Several years ago I was helping a close friend ,who just happens to be a retired Marine, restore a Korean Era jeep.(M-1938 I believe) anyway he decides it would look better with an M1 Garand in a scabbard attached to it. So off we go to a gun show to buy a Garand. We found what looked like a nice one at a fair price and bought it.
Off we went to a range with him, the retired marine, his son the FBI agent and me the ex-Air Force type "Zoomie" (as he calls me). They set up a target at 100yds and then decided to let the Zoomie shoot first. Have you ever shot a Garand they ask "no I said" hee hee they said, how about a "30 ought 6?"No I said" hee hee they said. "Well we will just load it for you so you don't get M1-thumb" they said and then more hee hee's and a few little snickers were also made by the Macho father and son combo.
Well anyway I shot the 8 round clip as they stood around claiming total misses and generally being pround of themselves for letting the Zoomie make a fool out of himself.

To make this story shorter I shot a 3" group all in the black and they spent the rest of the day trying to beat my target and couldn't. It was a great day for the Zoomie.
I now own 3 Garands based on that first experience I had to own one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey rawhyde that happened to me a few times over the past 5 yrs or so...im pretty sure each bird that did that was shot in the spine or the head..but anyways i find that if u just shoot em a few more times with yer pellet gun they drop faster... :twisted:

im 18 and been huntin since i was 12 and i have 2 best shots....one with a single shot 12g full choke on a wood duck flying their full speed i guess 5ft off the water 45-50 yards away and i dropped him like a rock!

other one was on a rabbit this week....15 yards away with the same gun....it was a perfect shot as i could tell by the pattern of pellets around where the rabbit was....but the son of a ***** kept running after rolling 2-3 times!!!! goto [www.hunting.net] i made a post there about it in the small game forum....

heh....i just got my remi 870 express super mag last week and i just bought sum 3 1/2" magnum BB shot....maybe ill get that little ******* rabbit now!!! lol.....i cant wait to pattern them ive neevr shot a 3 1/2" be4....gonna get me sum geese now

have fun huntin everyone

ch312

·
Registered
216 Posts
:shock: well i saw this friend of mine put 8 shots from my springfield bolt action 22 cal in the same hole twice. we were up plinkin and my friend says watch this we found an old metal bucket and put it on a branch he un loads the clip in the same hole he claims, i couldn't believe it i figured he just shot one and aimed high with the rest. well i said let me see that again so we reloaded and i stood behind him to see if he was fakin well much to my suprise he cracks off 8 more rounds no fliching or what ever all in the same hole maybe expanded the hole to a little bigger than a pencil. it amazed me :shock:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.