Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Mossberg 590, model 50660 (9 shot with 20" barrel, heatshield) yesterday from a private seller. The gun has never been fired, came in the original box with all papers except the manual and appears to be in excellent shape. Upon arriving home I began drooling, I mean, looking at my new purchase and I noticed something that struck me as odd. Inside the barrel directly underneath the area where the front bead sight screws in, there is an approximately 1" dia. area where it appears someone took a die grinder to the barrel. The area is definitely relieved from the original bore (you can feel it with your finger), almost as if the bead sight screw was too long and it was ground down to blend into the bore. Is this normal or have I purchased a gun that has been modified? Will this affect the performance of this gun? Will I have to replace the barrel? I have owned several handguns in the past but this is my first shotgun.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Motorcycleman

G

·
Sounds as if the front bead has been replaced, depends on the depth in which it has been taken while determine the repair process that it must under go, since it is not their choke tube version you can have your improved choke opened to skeet or cylinder bore if the grinding marks are that deep you can have that portion cut back , recrowned and bead reinstalled, or pattern test it and if good at 25 yrds with buckshot live with it, but what is your intended purpose of the weapon, home defense, just for throwing your own clays or other? RON KONTOWSKYACTIONS BY R.A.K.www.deansgunshop.com8o

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ron,Thanks for the info. I purchased it for home defense primarily. I called Mossberg and talked to them about this. I am going to send the barrel back to them to have them look at it; better safe than sorry.motorcycleman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts