Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion about this? I may be having a problem with powder hanging up in the bushing of my loader resulting in the occasional light load. If so, it is only a marginal problem, but in the gun I am presently using for clays it is enough that the second trigger sometimes will not set. The gun is a Beretta 682 gold and now has about 2,000 rounds through it. When I first got it I had to use 1 1/8 oz loads or it would not set the second trigger at all. With time and wear it began to shoot the 1 oz loads I like with fewer failures to set occuring. Recently I went up one bushing size (powder) and loaded enough to try 50 shells. I still had one failure to set. I am holding the gun firmly to my shoulder, and all parts of the trigger assembly are clean. As far as I know the only thing left to check is the load. I use a Ponsness 900 progressive loader-a fine machine which I have had no problems with in the past...at least in this regard. I check-scale-the powder drop when I start and after periodically while I am loading...about every 100 shells. I sometimes find a variation of around 0.3 grains, but at the level I am loading that is still well within mid range figures. I am wondering if there is a possibility of a static electricity buildup within the loader which may be causing an occasional hangup of the powder. I can easily ground it with a 12 ga wire run to a ground rod but was wondering what some of you other experienced reloaders think.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Interesting! First of all, you have one of the finest shotshell loaders made and grain variation you are getting is very small compared to factory shells. Progressive loader will give a little more variation. Do you have the powder baffles installed? What powder are you using? Most of the time any static is in the plastic powder tubes. Take them off and wash them in dish washing soap, but do not rinse......let them air dry. The very large loaders at the factory are grounded, but I have never seen a private one done so. Still, I don't see where it would hurt.
The problem with the hammer not setting is a common problem. Have you added a recoil reducer or are the barrels ported?
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,
Thanks for replying. I am using Clays powder exclusively in bottles which have baffles. I strive to manipulate the loader consistently to ensure uniformity from shell to shell and do not hurry just to load more shells per hour. In short, I follow all the recommendations that Ponsness makes for the loader.
Regarding the gun itself, since it is new and still under waranty I have made no modifications to it other than adding a pad adjuster and some magnetic weight to the underside of the bbls to offset the weight of the butt. This is the gold e series gun with the Optima (.732) bbls, but others I know who shoot this
same gun can fire 7/8 oz loads with no problems. Any chance that it simply is not broken in yet?
Incidentally, when draining the powder from the loader (using the drain feature that Ponsness incorporates) there is very little powder that clings to the sides of the bottle. This normally falls right of with just a light tap on the side of the bottle.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sounds like you have it all put together. I would not worry at present with the balky triggers not setting at times....could just be a new gun breaking in. At times, even on fine guns, there is a small burr, dried oil, varnish, etc. that can get on the part to slow it down. It might be a good idea to have that checked. Soft recoil, combine with a large person, can somethimes caused a failure to set on a new gun. I'm 6' 3 1/2" and run about 220. I have had to loosen (sp) up sometimes on a new O/U or Benneli to get it to operate. Keep in touch.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
200 Posts
Grounding only the reloader would not clear your problem.You would still have a differance of potencial between the other stuff on your table.You would have to install a sheet of metal( aluminum) on your table then run a ground wire to a common ground in your building.Everything on the table would then have to be placed in metal trays on the table and have a ground wire from the table ground.to each metal tray.You would also have to use a ground strap to your wrist.Somehow this seems like a lot of trouble to go thru.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
vicvlb said:
Grounding only the reloader would not clear your problem.
Haven't grounded a shotshell reloader, but I did ground my RCBS powder measure used for metallic cartridge loading in order to eliminate static electricity which adversely affected accuracy of the measure. It worked.

If the problem with the shotshell powder measure is in fact static electricity, grounding could not hurt anything and might help, IMHO :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Let me restate my answer . If you ground your reloader and ground yourself,( with the use of a wrist strap ),then there would be no way you could cause a static build up of electricity.If you only ground yor reloader then every time you touch it you could send static electricity from your body to the reloader.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Let me restate my answer . If you ground your reloader and ground yourself,( with the use of a wrist strap ),then there would be no way you could cause a static build up of electricity.If you only ground your reloader then every time you touch it you could send static electricity from your body to the reloader.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
if your powder drains out of the press and does not leave powder in the bottle you do not have static problems. if other people are shooting your gun with no problem, are you releasing the trigger completely? i have krieghoffs, and they reset the trigger with about 8 oz. of trigger pressure, but some guns have to have complete return of the trigger for operation. i know some folks that have problems with brownings and insist it is the gun. completely release the trigger. some makes can have no more than 1/2 oz trigger pressure and reset. if other people are not having problems, that leaves operator error. if the other guys are shooting 7/8 oz with no problem, and your 1 1/8 oz gives problems, the suspect load would be so light you would know the difference. i worked on guns for decades, and quality guns rarely are that finicky. just my .02

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Have a gunsmith adjust the inertia block and your problems will go away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
instinctive , I have had a problem with my loaders 'bridging' in the winter especially when humidity is low in the house. The problem was most noticable when loading pistol rounds on the Dillon, but P-W did it too. I grounded both loaders to earth ground and have not had problem since. Since I'm old and forgetful I don't remember who told me about this but I think it was the folks at Dillon. Since I'm in ohio and you're in Ill. it's probably the same problem I had. Just remember 'earth' ground and not electrical ground. Hope this helps.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts