Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grouse hunting buddy, our wives and our Brittanys are planning a travel trailer trip to Alaska this summer. We will be there thru August, maybe into early Sept, but we need to head back down the Alcan before the weather gets ugly. We will do some fishing and a lot of sightseeing, but really want to do some grouse hunting. Could anybody give us some advice on which Game Management Units to focus on for ruffed and sharptails? A real bonus would be to bag some ptarmigan, spruce and blues as well. We know that all species will not be in the same area. We will be very mobile and self contained so areas away from Anchorage/Fairbanks would be preferred and we can move to another GMU for a different species.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
J Gray

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey, late response, sorry, I picked up a couple Ruff @ mile 89 of the Glenn hwy last fall. (Sept or Oct) think it is :GMU 14. No sharpie's but a few fool hens which I ignored. (North side of Hwy).
JC

·
Registered
111 Posts
mudpuppy said:
My grouse hunting buddy, our wives and our Brittanys are planning a travel trailer trip to Alaska this summer. We will be there thru August, maybe into early Sept, but we need to head back down the Alcan before the weather gets ugly. We will do some fishing and a lot of sightseeing, but really want to do some grouse hunting. Could anybody give us some advice on which Game Management Units to focus on for ruffed and sharptails? A real bonus would be to bag some ptarmigan, spruce and blues as well. We know that all species will not be in the same area. We will be very mobile and self contained so areas away from Anchorage/Fairbanks would be preferred and we can move to another GMU for a different species.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
J Gray
How did you do? Did you folks get to hunt? Where? Hope your trip was successful and fun!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts