Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just had a simple question but I bet it will spark some debate. I am planning on making a purchase soon and am now leaning towards the Browning Cynergy Field. The dilemma is that I want to buy the gun from somewhere I can touch and feel the gun, pick it up and make sure it fits me and that I like it as much as I think I do. What do I do if I walk in this place and they are asking MSRP for the gun when I know I can get it on the net from a local online house for 20 % off list and literally drive three miles to pick it up? Is it poor form to try and negotiate on a new gun with a gun store? Will they be offended if I tell them I can get it on the net for $400 less and ask them to match or come as close as they can?

·
Registered
377 Posts
tell them the truth you saw it on the internet first and you are interested in the gun give them a print out if needed then see what they can do.also let them know you prefer to do your buying localy and suport the local store .where i shop they often match prices or let you know if the ad isnt a fair comparison.the only time ive seen this back fire is when the customer is a ball breaker and always looking for you to loose money

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently ran into the same issue when buying my new extrema II. I shopped around and checked the interner, I even called 'the big stores' within a 2 hour drive. The big guys like Cabellas, Bass Pro Shop and Dicks will not negotiate. I found that the local gun shop near me was selling the gun for about $100 bucks more than what Bass and Cabellas were selling the gun for. I would much rather support the local shops and when I told the guy I wanted the gun I told him what the other guys were selling it for. He gave me a sob story about Barettas and that he couldn't reduce the price because he would get in trouble with the local Baretta rep. But I reiterated the fact that I would rather buy local. So got within $25 of Bass Pro Shops, which was actually a heck of a lot cheaper than Cabellas, and threw in a box of $25 shells. So as long as you don't go into the local guy and act like a complete jerk, I have found that they are more than willing to try to get at least close to the big guys. Just do your research and see what the normal going price is. I am sure you can find a 'steal' on the net, but just remember if it is too good to be true it probably isn't. Just be reasonable and I think both parties will make out and walk away happy.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I have purchased very few new guns but when I do,my local gunshop(gunsmith) has been able to order what I want at the same or lower price that I have found elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
i would say if you go to a store where anyone can hold/mount a gun and they have them there for display, you've gotten all you should expect from that store if you don't want to pay the price.

you're worried about offending them because you don't want to pay for their services----then don't be offended when they tell you to take a flying leap.

if it fits--most likely so will the one from the online dealer.

the only exception i have to my above comment, is if the walk in store advertises ''price matching'' capabilities.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Another way to get a local shop owner down on a price is to offer to pay cash if you can afford it. It saves them the 3% credit card charge. I don't think small shops can make it without the mark up on a new gun. It may not sound like much but it may help. Maybe offer cash & split the difference between the internet price and the shop owner's and ask him to cover the background check?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
By asking them to negotiate the price, what is the worst thing they can say? No! No is the starting point to then ask them why. You won't hurt anyone's feelings, especially theirs.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You can always walk out with $20-$30 bucks worth of cleaning supplies and maybe a box of the store special ammo in whatever caliber you use. You need it anyways.

This usually gets a no strings tire kicking gun handling pass.

Another thing I like to do is keep an eye out for used guns.. let them get up and show you what they got.. You can just say that " hmmm... I think I don't like the scratches on the furniture and might buy new...how much for that new"....

I did buy a gun there last year and a bunch of small stuff. hopefully you won't get the cold shoulder.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
mike100 said:
You can always walk out with $20-$30 bucks worth of cleaning supplies and maybe a box of the store special ammo in whatever caliber you use. You need it anyways.

This usually gets a no strings tire kicking gun handling pass.

Another thing I like to do is keep an eye out for used guns.. let them get up and show you what they got.. You can just say that " hmmm... I think I don't like the scratches on the furniture and might buy new...how much for that new"....

I did buy a gun there last year and a bunch of small stuff. hopefully you won't get the cold shoulder.
Why didn't I think of that?......Duh. Great advice!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will spend a little more to have a local shop that will stand behind the gun and answer any questions or concerns I may have. Once you build a repore with a shop then they will also start to look out for guns you might be interested in and let you know. I frequented a shop like this once. They sold gasoline, fishing gear, hunting supplies and guns (you had to ask about the guns since they were not on display). Really gave great service and would try hard to get you the best deal. If your shop will not work with you in some way and are offended/ ticked-off when you suggest paying less than their asking price, are they really the type of local gun shop / small business that you want to support ?

K

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think you need to decide how much it is worth to you to be able to handle the specific gun before you buy. I've seen some dealers who will open boxes and let you select from 2-3 samples so you get the wood, or feel that you are looking for. This has value to me. Beyond that, I don't know what the local dealer does for you that makes you loyal to them. When I had a serious (dangerous) problem with a brand new gun the local dealer that I bought it from (for full MSRP) blew me off entirely. They suggested I contact the manufacturer. I asked if they would send the gun in for me. Nope. The manufacturer not only paid for the shipping, they replaced the gun with a new one. I promptly took the brand new replacement back to the original dealer to trade it for a much more expensive gun. They wouldn't accept it for trade and said they don't do consignments. I hope you get better service from your local shops. My next gun purchase was from another local dealer, 30 miles further away. I get the feeling that their customer service is worse than the first dealer. Frankly, I wish Wal-Mart sold guns in California.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What is this, an Arab market? Don't you own a telephone? Call around and ask two simply questions. Do you have a Cynergy field gun in stock? What is your absolute best price? If you're not happy with the price, make another call. Jeeeez.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just my HO, but if I'm going to a gun shop to see if I like the way a gun fits, that's a service they're providing to me. That inventory costs them some money. If I like the gun they have in stock, I will pay more than what I could get it for over the net, because it means something to me to have a local shop that gets in guns I like. How much more? I dunno. I've spent 10% more before at a shop I liked because they had the gun I wanted with some very fine wood. Buying over the net, you may not get wood you like. Maybe you're not willing to pay 10%. Maybe next time I'd only be willing to pay 5%.

Again, it's purely my opinion, but if you want the absolute best deal and are not willing to pay a dealer a little extra for the priviledge of going to his shop and actually handling the gun before you buy it, then you should just order it over the internet and not even go into the dealer's shop.

If my local dealer was a jerk, then I'd be much less inclined to pay extra for a gun from him. But a lot of local dealers really try to do good - staying open a bit later for you if you really need to get something after work before hunting the next day, trying to support kid's shooting programs, etc. Those are the dealers that I at least want to help support. That's worth something to me, anyway.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was thinking about buying a shotgun online. By the time I added up shipping and handling, and the fees for a FFL delivery, it added up to more than what the dealer would sell it for. Plus he let me try it for fit in the store and after buying it we took it out and shot it to make sure it was ok. You don't get that kind of service online.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
j beede said:
Frankly, I wish Wal-Mart sold guns in California.
I certainly know what you mean (hope this doesn't ignite a Wal-Mart bashing string)

I would also wish for a Cabellas, an Academy Sports, A Gander Mtn or any of the other Gun Meccas our friends in the Mid-West seem to enjoy. I wish there was a Turners 100 miles closer. A Big 5 is about as big time as it gets near me but they have very limited selection. There are 4 small gun shops within a 30 mile radius. One deals almost entirely with used guns he charges top dollar plus for (no negotiation). Two don't vary much off MSRP new or high book for used. The one place that gives a small price break has little on hand inventory.

I wish I had your moral quandry :roll: That said all these shops were helpful and informative and more than willing to spend time and show me the pros and cons of what they had which as a newbie I very much appreciated. Knock wood I've never had to have warranty work done but I've little doubt they would be supportive if needed. Even if I had the other choices I would still be willing to pay a reasonable premium on price to support these guys because I'd hate the loss if they disappeared. I just love the unique smell going into this one gun shop - kinda like going into a real cobbler's shop.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
In my local situation, I haven't found too many gunshops that aren't more concerned with the bottom line than customer service. That being said, I haven't bought but a handful of my guns from anywhere than online. You just can't beat the deals and if the gunshops are serious about staying in business, they will provide A) good enough customer service that you feel you are paying for that as part of the gun purchase or B) new and used guns at more competitive prices. I know a couple of gunshops will pay 70% of the BLUE BOOK value of their gun on a sell or trade in and then turn around and mark it up to 100% of the BLUE BOOK value and try and sell it. That to me is ripping of one customer and then trying to get another sucker to finsh the cycle. That's why I do most of my research online and get opinions from people who I feel are knowledgeable and make my own purchases.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have access to 12 Walmarts, 2 Dick's sporting, 1 Bass Pro, 2 Gander Mnt, etc. within a 27 mile radius. I searched the internet for prices availability - the usual. The local gun dealer in my area had what I wanted in stock and at a better price than I could buy anywhere else. The price was about 24% off MSRP. Plus 10% off an anything else I bought to go along with the gun. These guys are really great and know all the models and differences between the models and manufacturers very well. I will support my local dealer as much as possible in the future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It can't hurt to tell them that you saw it online and that the price was lower. Some places price-match. The two local gun dealers in my area will often get you the gun you want with very little additional cost, especially if they are going to lose business to Wal-Mart or the other gun dealer. I will admit, and it should be no surprise, that the smaller businesses are more likely to help you out. Wal-Mart doesn't care. If you don't buy it, someone else will.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The best time to negotiate is with cash in hand. MSRP is a suggestion and no one pays MSRP. Money talks. Make your best deal. I picked up a mint condition sxs yesterday for probably 30% less than it was worth yesterday simply by having cash in hand and being willing to walk away if the guy didn't want the money.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.