Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie (6'4, 225lb) who wants to shoot. I have a lot of experience with pistols and rifles, but NONE with shotguns. Frankly I dont know what most of the terminology means.
I do know that I want to start, but want to buy my first gun for around $350 or less. I understnad that O/U guns are the choice form most shooters, but autos absorb a lot of the recoil, so help accuracy. I see that there are also a lot of people here that use pump guns.

-What are the benefits/disadvantages of using a pump shotgun?

-What kind of shotgun would be best suited to a beginner who wants to shoot everything?

-WHat is a good beginner gun? I knwo browning O/Us are really good, as is the beretta 390/391 for an auto. But even used, they are more or less out of my price range for now. I hear that the IZH guns are good, gazzelle and dehaan (sp) turkish guns are also quite good. But what is my best bet?

-I kind of think Id liek to start with a pump. While optimally Id have an O/U, they are too pricey. Therefore, Id liek to learn with the 'hardest' gun to shoot with, and I figure having to pump between shots makes it tougher. This in the long run will make me a better shooter.

-I want something that will be relaible and usabel at a shoot (say 200 rounds/month) for the next 5-10 years. I do keep my guns clean, but would prefer to minimize cleaning, etc (autos get dirty mush easier, Id guess O/Us require the least work).

Any help or advice would be great, I knwo there are a lot of posts on here regarding some of these issues, but I totally dont knwo what I want, and need some direction.
Thanks,

JMH

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I would have to recommend an 870 pump 12 gauge. They are in your price range and they are known for reliability. The thing is though you need to check around to see what pump fits you better because the 870s have a shorter stock than a few other pumps. I would check out and shoot a few different kinds of pumps and what you shoot best with and feels the best is the one that's yours.

I strongly believe a pump will make you a better and faster shooter.

I started with a pump and shot great in skeet with it.

One thing you should do is get a coach, they are well worth the money and will correct you and make you a good shooter but if you choose not you may never break your bad habits.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870.htm

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo ... p?cat=012C

http://www.mossberg.com/ (it's the mossberg 500)

Check out benelli nova pump also(another great pump).

Try them all and see what's best.

People say pumps won't cut it but then they havn't seen me shoot mine :D .

You will hear a lot of opinions but this is what I think would be best.

Hope it helps, good luck :) .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think pump guns are the coolest to shoot any clay sport with.(especially skeet) It's usually just you and an 80 year old guy that has been shooting since before anyone else there was even born. It's like an elite club. Anyway, I agree with Clayshooter, the Rem 870 is probably your best bet. I prefer the Nova myself because the stock is longer,(I'm 6' 2") so I'd give that one a good look(although some people can't look at it very long. :lol: ). Go play with some guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info!

I went to dick's today because my girlfriend needed to get a bike lock, and tried the 870, the mossberg 500, a number of semi-0autos, and a brazilian made (condor by stoeger (sp?)) over-under. The wood stocked 870 definitely looked and felt the best. I was very unimpressed by the mossberg unfortunately, the wood was rather poor.
Im going to go to a real gun shop tomorrow to look at used 870s as well as the nova, etc.

I love the o/u look, but you guys really sold me on the pump guns now, and with their price point, theyre all the better.
Thanks,

JMH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shoot sporting clays with a pump only because of budget reasons. I'm in the market for a new gun already and i've gone through only 500 rounds. Not to discourage you, but get a semi or an o/u. In sporting clays you have to pull off some quick shots, and with the pump a lot of times I feel rushed to make the second shot. However, when I used a buddy of mine's o/u, it was just point and click for every target. Plus with the o/u you can save your hulls to reload them. Go for the o/u

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if I was you I would find me a Dunhams sporting goods store a buy the Gazzele O/U for $299.00 Great gun for the money and comes with 5 choke tubes. Put you a Morgan adj. pad on it and you are good to go. They sell for about $39.00 at Gander Mountin. It's also a very good looking gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would certainly look at the Remington 1100/1187 or the Beretta 390. The Beretta can be had for $529 new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
JMH
At 6'4" 225 you will need to adjust most if not all stocks.
an 870 is a good gun but slow on doubles, I like a combo gun
1100 are a good gun and you wont have the barrel jump you have with an 870.
Go to your local gun club Traqp Shooters are always wanting to sell or trade, you will beable to try different guns

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
At your height and weight, no gun is likely to fit you very well. All of the five primary stock dimensions can be changed, however.

Along with various stock dimensions on the guns that you look at, you will also notice that some of the guns have combs that are parallel with the barrel and some have combs that rise towards the front. If you aren't going to change the stock dimensions to fit you, I would suggest a gun with a parallel comb. With such a comb, you can place your cheek anywhere along it and have your eye at the same level relative to the rib.

Try to find a gun that will align your eye with the rib using only firm contact of your cheek with the comb. Too little pressure and your head and eye will move during swings to targets; too much will cause greater felt recoil and will be unable to be maintained during swings. (Correct "drop at the comb" dimension)

Try to find a gun that, mounted, will keep your nose about one and one-quarter inches back from your thumb without your having to uncomfortably pull your head back to get that distance between them. (Correct "length of pull" dimension)

Also try to find a gun that can be mounted slowly with the top and bottom of the recoil pad making simultaneous contact with your shoulder (the correct "pitch".)

Rollin http://stockfitting.virtualave.net/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts