Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.

Im looking for a good beginner gun. I preffer a pistol but maybe a rifle.?? any suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi there Diablo--

First, welcome to Shotgunworld! Buying a gun is quite a responsibility.Although this forum is for shotgunners and people who use shotguns, I'd bet that most of us own other firearms. (Mine's an old but beautiful Marlin 336 levergun / deer rifle in .35 Remington). Here you will find people who use shotguns for hunting, home defense, and clay target games. Shotguns, most of us would say here, are among the most versatile of firearms and thus would make an excellent first purchase.

Whatever you get, be sure to take a gun safety course! Owning any gun means you have the power to do harm to others, and you want to be sure that you do not hurt anyone else, or yourself, by a mistake. Even very experienced shooters have been known to screw up--sometimes with disasterous consequences. NONE OF US is above thinking about safety 24/7! Safety habits come with time and with instruction. You might want to spend some time reading the posts in our "New Shotgunners" forum and perhaps posting there yourself as you think of new questions. The day will come when you can give other new people some answers, too!

Always remember this, Diablo: you can't take a bullet back once you have pulled the trigger.

Take Care,

Jeff23

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I agree, safety first.
Second what will you be doing with it?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Well said Jeff, there is nothing I can add.

G

·
I plan on just doing some shooting at the target range then going on to clay shooting. And i have made reservations for a saftey class. thanks for the replys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That post up there was from me, any way i forgot to mention that i did some reading and will be going with a shotgun. so any good beginner ones you reccomend?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I guess its gonna depend how old the kid is and what ya' ginna primarily hunt, and what you can afford...
\ For example, I grew up on a Beretta single shot folding .410 shotgun. I used it from age 10 to 14.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yes, Diablo--age and the hunting use (if any) you plan for it would help us help you. Also a budget.

JLPTexashunter: I am honored sir :lol: I have often felt the same way about your posts. Usually I added something anyway, just because I love to read my own opinions. You are clearly less easily amused, a real virtue!

How's Texas this time of year? Hunting yet?

Jeff23

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is for my 13 year old son. i heard a .410 is good beginner gun? My budget dosnt really matter i am looking to go for a low price sence it will be a first timer so 100-400

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah, that puts a different light on things. Like a lot of kids in the late 50's and early 60's I started with a .410--nice simple break action single-shot. However, if you try that now, everyone will jump on you and say the .410 is an "expert's gun." They're right in a way. But I still think it's ok if you teach your son not to take long shots. 28 ga would be ideal, but they tend to be expensive when available. You might look for a 20-ga single. Rossi makes one that isn't that horrible, and if you can get your hands on, say, an old Stevens or a Winchester Model 37 (think I have that number right) with a nice tight lockup and good bore, you'll have a gun to treasure for all time. Get some light game loads for the lad (low brass) and he should be fine. The big thing is safety and practice! Good luck, and welcome to Shotgunworld. Will you keep the screename "Diablo"?

All the Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nope, it's actually kind of cool, imho. Just wondering:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ok,

Thanks for the help ill be calling around tommorow. We have a couple gun shops here so ill see what i can find.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah--

Shop slowly, and enjoy. The guns will be there a week from now.

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Jeff23,
Dove hunting has been fantastic and a cold front is moving in overnight. I got my first out-of-state looking bird this morning and hopefully the front will push some more in. Also knocked a couple of teal out of the sky. Had them for lunch when I got back from hunting.

Diablo,
What part of Texas. If you are anywhere near Dallas, my gunshops of choice are, in order:
Rays Sporting Goods near downtown
Koenigs Gunshop in Terrell.
McClellands Gunshop in Garland/East Dallas

In Houston I really like the guys at Carter Country.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
See Diablo? Here is a man--JLPTexashunter--who has Teal for lunch in September. Teal! Although Teal are native to Long Island Sound, where I live, hunt, and fish, I can assure you that I have not seen a teal in a ****'s age (although I have seen a **** in a teal's age-- but I digress). Were I to spot the lovely flash of color that accompanies a teal, I would be too perplexed to shoot--possibly I would just get out my cell phone and call an interior decorator (we have many such persons in the immediate vicinity) for an opinion on how "teal," the color, might go in my garage / cave (a room also known affectionately as the "Hammock River Athletic Club") by its members. These include myself (President, Treasurer, and Ombudsman), my niece Kiley (Sergeant-at-Arms and Ad Hoc Secretary-General), and my Basset Hound, Gracie (Charter Member-at Large). Sorry, at this time, nominations for further members are closed, although we are thinking of letting in John, the Town Dock Master (Kiley calls him the "dock monster" in a very disrespectful way). Anyway, you have to live on the east side of Clinton harbor.

Teal for lunch would be a novelty. No doubt JLPTexashunter has wood duck or canvasback for afternoon tea as well. (Sniff sniff.) How "tweedy" of him! In the future, if enough Shotgunworld members beg me abjectly, I may divulge my recipe for Scoter. This recipe is unusual in that, upon eating it, you will not retch. How's that for community spirit?

Jeff23

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
What type of clay shooting will you be doing because a single shot can't be used for skeet,sporting clays,5 stand,but I think you can use it for trap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, so I wanna throw in an opinion here. Haven't heard the sound of my own voice in a while. And that would be to recommend the venerable Remington 870. My favorite of the affordable pumpguns. It can be had in 20, 28 or .410. 28 being the best all around for beginners, but unfortunately pricey. I would also suggest a remington 1100 youth model semi-auto. A second hand version would easily fit into your budget, and the gas-operated action would take some sting out of 20 gauge shells. Most Skeet coaches I've talked to recommend a 28, though they will accept a 20 Gauge semi-auto for beginners. That even goes for little old 6'4" 260 pound me. Because the soft recoil and low report makes it so easy to learn good marksmanship.

G

·
Hello Jeff23!

I see you mentioned a stevens shotgun. I am 46 years old and have never owned a gun. I have never had anything against hunting, just never got into it. My 15 year old son wants to get into it. I thought it might be an enjoyable time with him. He has his heart set on the 870 express 20 or 12 *****. A good friend of mine has offered to let me try his Stevens (model67) 12 *****. He says if I like it, it is mine for 125.00. It is in EXCELLENT shape. We are thinking of trap shooting and pheasant hunting and possibly next year---deer hunting. Any more information on stevens, would be appreciated. Like if it shoots slugs okay, etc. Thanks alot!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts