Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have allways wanted a 410 shotgun just to have because i rather use my bps 12 ga for hunting. but i have a 11year old borther that i want to be able to take deer hunting with me next year. i was wondering if i should get a 410 or a 20ga i would let him use it but not give it to him right yet my dad usealy buys us are for gun a 12 gauge for chirstmas around 13 to 14 years old or he did me i also want it so when my other brother gets older i can take him hunting he is 5 right now is a moosbeg 500 a good gun to get in 410 or 20 ga thank u for all ur help

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I can't even read that post. Everything runs together. :shock: It reads like a maser post.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
bps, I mean this in a constructive way, and I am not trying to be critical.

You will be "talked about" and looked down on all your life if you don't learn how to write using proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. Your style of writing may be acceptable for text messaging among teenagers, but it is not acceptable in the real adult world.

A .410 is too small for any kind of hunting, except perhaps for upland preserve hunting (small birds, short range). A 20 gauge is OK but marginal in my opinion, for deer hunting. I think your father buys 12 gauge guns for a reason - it is the most versatile gauge. There are light loads available for 12 gauge that don't kick much. If your brothers are not able to handle a 12 gauge gun they are still too young for deer hunting. Until they are able to handle a 12 gauge, just let them go along with you, without taking a gun of their own.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd recommend a 20 ***** and would start here:

http://www.mossberg.com/bantam_models.htm

The Super Bantam looks interesting. My then 9 year old used a standard 500 Bantam 20 on ducks and targets until she out grew the gun by the time she was 11 and moved on to a full size qun.

With the Bantam you will get a coupon for a low cost, adult replacement stock--the super will allow you to have an adult stock and then shorten it for your little brother as he gets to the point that he can handle the gun safely and effectively.

Best Regards,

FS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read on this great web site that some enjoy huting deer with a 410 with slugs. I don't know if it is effective. They say they like using the winchester 9410 lever shotgun

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
My opinion of you just went up quite a bit.

Yes, some do hunt deer with the .410, but I'll stick by my statement that it is not powerful enough. I'll just qualify that by saying it may be adequate in the hands of an experienced shooter who can get close enough to a deer and who can be sure of placing the shot in a vital area. I've been shooting for 50 years, and I wouldn't want to rely on a .410 for deer, and I would not recommend it for a young beginning shooter.

I might be willing to back down on the subject of a 20 gauge. But keep in mind that most 20 gauge guns are very light, and that means they will kick as much, or even more than most 12 gauge guns, unless you can find a very light load for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
410 slugs have marginal energy in comparison to 12 and 20 gauge slugs and as such are generally not considered to be a good choice to harvest deer for the average hunter.

Before getting a 410, if you intend to use it for deer hunting, check the state hunting regs as a number of states prohibit 410 slugs for deer hunting for the above reason.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
bps, your later post are much more readable to an old codger like me, with old eyes. :lol:

Sorry I was a little harsh with my first post. :oops:

·
Registered
17 Posts
410 are not legal for deer hunting in Iowa as well, 20 Moss is a great gun, my older brother has one (30 years now) much lighter than my 12 Mossy, and recoil is fine, had my nephews with there girl friend out shooting, smallest on maybe 5'2 130 lbs and the recoil wasn't a problem with cheap loads. When my 12 ga broke that same day I ended up using a single 20 w/3" mags for pheasant hunting, recoil was more than I expected. Another major negative for the 410 is shells are $10 a box, 20 or 12 gauge is $3.50, I wouldn't buy my kids a 410, they'll shoot 22's until ready for a 20. David

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thumbs up for you bps. Please continue to ask questions and I am sure you will get some valuable information here.

Just do your best with the grammer, spelling, etc. You have shown a very good character trait in this thread and that is respect. You show respect to others and you will get it in return.

Some of us older folks get tired of the lack of respect from the younger generation and jump to conclusions a little too quick sometimes. Then someone like yourself comes along and brings a breath of fresh air.

I am also very impressed that you care so much about your younger brothers. That is awesome. Just remember, safety is number one. Keep checking yourself and teach your brothers every chance you get.

Keep it up, your doing good!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts