Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serial number is 812934 its in 98% new condition. 30' barrel. no rib. I would really appreciate any info as this is a probate situation. Brad

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Born in 1939 .

Here's the Bluebook values
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
12 ga. $525 $395 $325 $295 $225 $175 $150

you won't get much arguement with those values HOWEVER you can find buyers willing to pay up to $475 for the condition you describe according to gunut1

G

·
MarlandS;
What I said was 97% OR BETTER at 375-475. Also is it a "Im Selling 98%" or "Im buying 98%"???? As they can be quite different!!!

G

·
Also the Blue Book does not go into details such as....

Early[teens 20s] Nickle steel gun
Pre WW2 gun
WW2 gun
Post WW2 gun
mid 50s, 60s production guns

All of these guns could be 98%
guns with the same [field grade, 30in, Full choke specs] but would have different values due to there different periods of production. I figure the blue book values on model 12s would be for mid 50s guns or newer.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
gunut 1 said:
MarlandS;
What I said was 97% OR BETTER at 375-475.
You're going to have to draw me a picture where the $475 I attributed to you is different than the $475 you said.

·
Registered
285 Posts
gunut1: are you saying that (all other factors being equal) there is a measurable difference in the market value of a M12 made in 1938 (pre WW2) vs 1944 (WW2) vs 1948 (post WW2) vs 1955 ?

If so, what would be the source of the data base that records sales prices by year of manufacture, which would be derived from the serial number (I guess)?

How would one access that data?

Thanks for your help.

G

·
No there is no listing of prices vrs year made list for model 12s but everybody that collects them knows these facts just like a Imp Cyl will bring more than a mod or full choked gun. Of the examples you list the 44 gun would easily bring 100-150 more than the 48 or 55 made gun with the '38 gun bringing 25-50 more than the newer guns. The price difference between the 48-55 guns is about nonexistant but everything being the same who wouldnt take the 48 before the 55. If you had the choice between a say 1920 made gun or a 55 made gun both in the same condition which would you choose, and to a collector that grab for the older gun shows itself in a higher value on the 20s gun...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Since there is no gathering of data to support your concluson other than "..everybody who collects knows...." I would have to say that the estimate of value via that method is weak at best--unless you are elected to speak for that 'everyone'--which you may be?

I thought market value of anything was generally established by the gathering of recent sales prices of a reasonable number of sales of like items. Publications like the "Blue Book" spend a great deal of $ gathering the data on sales prices of thousands of sales across the country.

If one does not have the data on a sufficent number of sales on a given item I'm somewhat lost to understand how the 'value' can be supported. Knowing what 2 or 5 or 10 or 15 M12s are sold for out of the thousands and thousands that are likely sold each year hardly supports an estimate of market value.

IMHO!

G

·
Dont want to argue about it :D. But will make just a few more comparisons to substantiate my position...

The year a model 12 was made has as much to do with its value as a collectable as the year a Winchester 94 or a model 70. There is no listing of how much to add to the BASE blue book price of these guns either but the difference in the price of a late 50s made gun and one made pre WW2 on the 70 or pre ww1 on the 94 can put there value it a completly different league from one another............. Nuff Said

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
So, it all goes back to how much the buyer is willing to pay for a certain serial range? Advanced collecting issues, correct?

As far as the model 70 reference, the Bluebook does make distinction between 3 time periods for pre-64 mod 70's with premiums listed.

on the '94 it makes either 3 or 4 distinctions for time period pre-64 with premiums listed

But for the model 12 the only real distinctions on time period/value that I saw (pre 64), are for the nickle steel ones and those with the "Y" serial prefix . Maybe this trend in collecting hasn't hit the book yet?

Not trying to argue either (Honest!) just bringing forth my observations.
Humorous side note, I know guys who honestly believe that EVERY Mod. 12 is worth $1,000 but every time I try to sell them one for that , 30 inch full choked of course, they won't pony up the $$ even when I'm willing to go down to $800. How can an honest guy make a buck these days? :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts