Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a shotgun to hunt deer and/or turkey. I'm a 12 year old, so it has to be something I can handle. Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how much money I'm willing to spend on a gun, but I don't want to spend over 300$

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning to ask my dad if he would pay for like half the price of the gun, so I'll look into it. I might buy a used gun from Gander Mountain if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I bought a Remington 870 when I was your age. I bought it brand new for $200 with my saved allowence and grass cuttin money. It didn't bother me much as far as recoil. Especally when you are hunting you won't notice it at all. You just have to accept that you are going to grow. In two years a 20 gauge is probably not going to be what you want. The 870 also comes in a 12 gauge youth model. Might not be called the youth, but it is scaled down to fit smaller shooters like you. I was tiny when I was 12 and the 870 fit me fine. They are some of the best guns made too.

Andy

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My girlfriend just picked up a Mossberg 20g youth gun. She loves it and shoots it quite well.

Yes, you can kill deer + turkey with it, esp with the magnum shells (3").

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
===============================================

............ wanna shotgun ... Can we assume that you would be interested in a second hand shotgun. ... I know that locally there are many second hand bolt action shotguns in both 12 and 20 gauge that will fill the bill perfectly as to the taking of deer and turkey. ... Not a very popular or attractive piece the bolt action is non-the-less very functional for the two endeavers of which you speak. ... Also you can easily pick one up for well under $300 dollars if you shop around.

===============================================

·
Registered
173 Posts
Get yourself a Remington Wingmaster "used" I just picked up another one in 12 ga. for $300. It's the older one with the silky smoothe action (looks like it brand new in the box!). My opinion, stay away from the Express. Some people don't have any problems, but the first one I owned, if you looked at it, it would rust! so I tried another one a few years later, and that thing wouldn't cycle consistantly to save your life. The Wingmaster is a gun that you'll be proud to own for your entire life and probably your childrens someday. Benelli Nova is a good gun from what I hear, and read, but a thing of beauty or old fashioned craftsmanship It's not! But that's me, I'm more of a traditional guy I guess. Good luck in whatever decision you make!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.