Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May have made a mistake ,but I decided to gift my sons and grandsons with most of my firearms. GONE : My L.C. Smith Ideal Grade double with sk 1 and sk 2 bores--my Trap grade Winchester M-21 in 16 Ga--gone 7 of my pre 64 M-12's four of them are Pigeon Grade Trap models-( Only one I kept is a Y model trap in case I want to shoot a few doves). Gone--My S&W single shot .22 lr target pistol ,my S&W 4 inch M-29-2 nickeled, gone-- my pre 64 Winchester feather weight m-70 in .243, GONE -my Rem 870s--6 of them, gone-my Savage 110 Left hand in .270. (to a left handed grandson) Gone a pair of flintlock dueling pistols with the original case, Gone a series 70 Colt 1911 nickeled, Gone a 6 inch S&W M-29 and a 4inch M-28 and a few others ! (a 90T-a Win 101 trap a Perazzi TMX--a couple of old pistols and a BUNCH of reloading stuff).

I feel naked ,but happy that I didn't wait until I was gone before they were gifted. The looks on their faces were priceless. This left me with one centerfire rifle,one shotgun,and a few modern pistols and a Ruger 10-22 !!!! I'm hanging on to my most prized fire arm for a while longer---It isn't much to look at and has but little value to anyone but me--it is a Colt Cobra in .32 Long Colt. My great uncle who gave me the love of hunting an the outdoors used it to take his life on Oct 4,1957---Same day the Russians put Sputnik into orbit !

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Probably a good idea to give these away at some point. It insures
no arguments among descendants of who gets what, and also
gives them longer time to use the gun and ask questions about
it while you are still around. I gave a bunch of mine to two sons
not too long ago. Along with the gift, I showed take/down and
operation etc. This also makes sure your guns somehow don't
vanish from your house right after your death, from various
visitors that might be there.

322 Posts
My Grandpa taught me how to shoot when I was really little. He also took me pheasant hunting and skeet shooting for the first time in my young life. As he has gotten older, as will happen to all of us, his health has started to deteriorate to the point he can't even shoot anymore. It pains me to think about what will happen to his collection after he passes on since half of his grandkids are from anti-gun homes but have equal claim to a share of the pieces.

You did the right thing, Driller.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
DevilsAdvocate said:
Probably a good idea to give these away at some point. It insures
no arguments among descendants of who gets what, and also
gives them longer time to use the gun and ask questions about
it while you are still around. I gave a bunch of mine to two sons
not too long ago. Along with the gift, I showed take/down and
operation etc. This also makes sure your guns somehow don't
vanish from your house right after your death, from various
visitors that might be there.
I agree with this 100%. I've been on the other side of what happens when you don't specify and see it through. I watched my Uncle's beautiful collection vanish overnight because his hillbilly wife just let "someone else deal with it" after his death. That "someone else" was an opportunist that bought the whole thing for pennies on the dollar - literally - and left her screwed, blued, and tatooed. He paid her in cash, and I was never able to figure out where the guns ended up.

Nice enough lady truth be told - but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
D

No you haven't made a mistake, just done what you thought was right; but be warned, The Peter Principle still applies and stuff comes in to fill he available space.

I've got rid of all my rifles plus a few shotguns and had only three in the safe. Last time I checked there wuz five on 'em in there!

And given the current availability of a 34" Greener there might just be another one sneaking up the lane.

Ya'll take care with them safe keys now!

Sounds to me like you just made more room in the safe to start a new collection. :)
Verb. sap.

Eug

·
Premium Member
19,951 Posts
Driller,
Sounds like you picked the people to match the guns. Yessir, in all regards the right thing.
Besides I got to see "Ya'll" from Eugine Frickin' malloy! Methinks we have rubbed off on im!
Bet it sounds funny when he says it though...

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
driller said:
This left me with one centerfire rifle,one shotgun,and a few modern pistols and a Ruger 10-22 !!!!
Remember the old saying, "Beware the man with one gun; he probably knows how to use it?"

Maybe it should have been, "Beware the man with one of each type of gun; he probably knows how to use them."

If you were good with them before, you will be even better now!

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Well done Drill-Meister!

Having had to deal with several family deaths intestate, them being packrats to boot, you have saved your loved ones a great deal of agony, on top of their grief, and have been rewarded by seeing their smiles. {hs#

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You did the right thing! If you can, take them out and shoot with them, they'll never forget that, and will be reminded of it every time they see that/those guns. That's why I'm never get rid of a few I have.

Related, but one thing I started years ago is a written computer document listing all firearms and their history as I know it. Summaries of stories, etc... I include prices, weights, where I got it, dates, serial numbers, etc. Share the history as well!

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
DallasCMT said:
Related, but one thing I started years ago is a written computer document listing all firearms and their history as I know it. Summaries of stories, etc... I include prices, weights, where I got it, dates, serial numbers, etc. Share the history as well!
I've done the same thing but I don't know why. I have zero shooters in my family to give them to.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I've got a couple daughters but they're not shooters, either. Maybe they would be if they had guns... and could afford the ammo and range fees, but that's a struggle.

Driller had the chance to do it right - and did.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Driller, I think you made a fine choice with gifting your guns to your kids now and also avoiding "death taxes".
I am in the same boat as Z and Dallas, none of my family shoots and most of them have been liberally indoctrinated against them so I have no family to will mine to. I thought about this a bit because I hate to see my guns fall into oblivion when I pass on to my maker. So I am looking to pass them on to a good gun club with a youth program that can use them. That's the best solution I can come up with. I think I am good for at least another 20 years or so, but you never know and I would hate see my best go to my family who will never use them.
With my liberal families values, I was extremely hesitant telling them about my adventures blasting clays. The big surprise was that they accept what I am doing as a legitimate sport and give me no grief over sporting clays. It seems liberals like clay sports as so many of liberal celebrities practice the sport. I never have been able to figure out the liberal mindset.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You said a lot of what I wanted to say. My daughters are 26 and 32 and very liberal. However, I've taken both shooting and both enjoyed it. My younger daughter even got mad when I gave my older daughter the single shot .410 I had given my son at 14. He however died at 20 to drugs, and the gun has to go somewhere.

So I think that if kids have any respect for their father or mother at all, as they get older, they gain respect for certain things you have in common. My older daughter loved skeet shooting, posted on her Facebook page "it's the coolest thing I've ever done". So I think I'm okay with her and guns.

Maybe I'll put in my will that they need to be registered Republicans to inherited them. :)

Actually, I'll likely do a Driller move when I near 70.

I need to take them shooting again. My oldest grandson is 12, almost shooting age.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dallas , Not to be critical but the age of 12 is almost too late ,instead of too early. Really it depends on the maturity of the child---and who better to judge than you ?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You're right, but the kid is tiny for his age, and I was thinking of shotgun shooting. 8-9 is fine to start .22 plinking from a prone position, but this kid would get flattened by even a 28 ga with target loads. :)

·
Premium Member
19,951 Posts
CMT,
I've heard that "flattened" story a million times, never sen it happen in a well structured training environment though. If the tiniest guy climbs down on a shotgun/load of well matched size and hugs it up a couple times, he will quickly and painlessly learn to manage recoil.
People get flattened or slapped when they give the gun a chance to move around on/at them.
I be the kid can shoot a light 20ga loading for a round of trap at least.
Children are pretty elastic.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Teach the kid to FOCUS--mind,body, and SOUL on the target !!!!!! Recoil will be a non-issue . A really GOOD set of hearing protectors will help more than you can imagine.

I used to start my military marksmanship classes by placing a fully loaded M-1 in my crotch an ripping off a full clip (yes, CLIP-not magazine) of 8 rounds. Just to show that recoil shouldn't hurt !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts