1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new gun safe.

Anyone familiar with the products from this company:

www.stack-on.com

Appreciate any comments....pro or con regarding the quality and value of their gun security cabinets and/or their gun safes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Old Vet.

I've got one of their "gunsafes" It's prety good for providing basic security, but is not fire resistant. I don't have anything really expenxive in it, and if we were unfortunate enough to have a fire I think I'd rather get new guns. I do have a seperate, smaller fire safe for ammo storage.

You can't beat their cost though. they can be found at Wal & K-mart and a lot of the 'Big Box" stores for a couple' hundred bucks.

They're not too heavy which is both good (Easy to move) and bad (Easy to move). Mine is hidden and bolted down in a seperate locked roon.

The cost of one of their safes is just a bit over what the security cabinets run so theis safes are a good value.

Just my $.02.

I do have a goldenrod de-humidifier inside to help keep everything dry.

If I ever get some any really expensive guns I would get a "real" safe.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Stack-on is low end, but better than nothing.

Mr. Twigg. Storing ammo in a "safe" is not a very good idea. Under lock and key is one thing, but in an enclosed safe? In the event of a fire, those make prety good bombs. It is the confinement that causess the problem. The ammo is far safer just allowed to lay there and burn, not being confined in a somewhat sealed, pressureized vesel. The only reason modern smokeless ammo goes BOOM and the bullets or shot comes out fast is becaue it is in the chamber of the gun when it "goes off". Kind of like a safe.

BP

·
Registered
288 Posts
yeah ammo can burn no problem. Path of least resistance, if it blows up not contained the casing is what will go flying a bit, and the bullet will stay right where it is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
yeah ammo can burn no problem. Path of least resistance, if it blows up not contained the casing is what will go flying a bit, and the bullet will stay right where it is.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I second Mr Twigg's review, good all around non fire proof safe. Personally I believe that with one of these bolted down you are minimizing theft risk. I figure if the fire has destroyed the rest of the house this would then be a case for insurance

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Funny, I just bought one of these today. I bought it at Dicks and it is the Stack-on 16-gun safe with the electronic keylock instead of a standard combination dial. It was on-sale for $329.99. And in NJ there is no sales tax on gun safes (the only thing they do right here....)

I had these considerations:
1) The electronic lock allows quick access in an emergency, versus fumbling with dials;
2) I wanted a solid safe to keep the kids out of the guns, and hopefully any thieves;
3) While I would prefer one fire-resistant, we are 1-mile from a fire house, and it would be too heavy to get home by myself. Plus, they are way more expensive and I've got much bigger problems if it is 1500 degrees for 30 minutes in here.
4) I liked the lay-out inside it and the shelving. It seemd like a great value for the money.

So obviously I recommend it as I chose it, but it's still in the garage in the box so I have know history, other than it was a no brainer to hoist in the SUV, drive home, and "walk-it" into the garage.

G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Stack-on is low end, but better than nothing.

Mr. Twigg. Storing ammo in a "safe" is not a very good idea. Under lock and key is one thing, but in an enclosed safe? In the event of a fire, those make prety good bombs. It is the confinement that causess the problem. The ammo is far safer just allowed to lay there and burn, not being confined in a somewhat sealed, pressureized vesel. The only reason modern smokeless ammo goes BOOM and the bullets or shot comes out fast is becaue it is in the chamber of the gun when it "goes off". Kind of like a safe.

BP
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok, just got back from Wally World with a security cabinet, didn't want to waste any time on this one. Thanks and a tip O'the Stetson to all for the heads up ! :oops:

This space for rent

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I have one of the electronic 16 gun safes and, though not fire proof, it seems just as solid and secure as many of the name brand safes. On the other hand someone with a simple screwdriver could probably get into the their gun secruity cabinets that walmart sells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts