Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I sort of think the answer to this is immaterial. Why take the chance that a cop doesn't like it? You might prevail but what a waste of time!!

If you don't want to break it down and put it into a metal case, then why not just get a cloth zippered carrying case at Wal-Martt for about $15.00 and be done with it?

Frank

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Soft cases are terrible for guns getting rusty in them. I put mine in gun socks never had a problem.

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
The socks are nice but reserve them for indoor storage. They don't work well if they get soaked like when I forgot and left my windows down one night when it stormed. One neat trick is that you can turn them inside out and reinvigorate them with a can of spray silicone every year or so.

ES

·
Registered
1 Posts
here in NJ a gun sock is considered a legal case. I posed the question to a law enforcement officer. His response was that if the "case" can be held in one hand and the gun doesn't fall out, it's a case.
I always use a sock as a case. The gun goes directly from the car to the gun safe and I don't have to take it in and out of the case.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've used 'em for several years to transport from home to the range & hunting. Haven't been called on it so far. We got spot-checked by a DNR officer a couple years ago during grouse season. He saw me take a double out of a sock & didn't say a thing. Great for storage, too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here in California, there are no storage case requirements for shotguns or other long guns; only handguns have storage restrictions, while being transported in a vehicle.

Non-concealable firearms just need to be unloaded when in a vehicle.

If you are driving by a school zone, though, you had better to be coming from or going to a shooting range or hunting site.
Somebody sees a shotgun in a vehicle, they will panic, call 911 and very soon, the SWAT team will be looking for you!

I keep mine in a case anyway, when driving in populated areas.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Once upon a time I worked for a prosecting attorney in a small town. I was in law school, and minded the store while he was out, and considered myself very important.

One day a Conservation Agent brought a man up the stairs to the Prosector's office, in handuffs. The man was cussing a blue streak. The game warden was holding a belt with a holster, and in the hoster was a revolver.

Seems the game warden was driving on a gravel road near a lake, and saw this man in a pickup truck. So he stopped him. I aske why, and he said he thought he might have been fishing. (Probable cause is never a problem for game wardens, you know :wink: ) The game warden looks in the truck, and sees the guy has on a holster, with a gun in it, and so he orders him out of the car an arrests him. I asked what for, and he said "Carrying a concealed weapon". How was it concealed, I wanted to know. He said he couldn't see it from outside the truck, had to look inside.(I swear, upon all that's holy, this is a true story).

The man said he was from Kansas City and he'd been to the local range. The game warden confirmed there were targets in the truck. The man said he knew Missouri law and he was going to sue everybody in sight.

I asked the game warden to uncuff the man, and sat down beside them both. I was about twenty two years old, then.

I asked the game warden if he thought that man was a theat to anybody. He said no. Said he believed he was target shooting. I asked the man if he wanted to face felony charges and see if he was right or wrong about whether wearing a holstered revolver is concealed or not, if the officer can't see the gun. He swallowed hard, and said he just wanted to go back home and he'd never, ever come back to our county again if he lived to be 100.

I took the game warden in behind closed doors and tried to tell him, politely as I could, what an idiot he was, how my boss would cut his nuts off for stupidity, and that he'd best take the man back to his truck and send him on his way. He asked, kind of scared, if he thought he'd sue. I said no, because we were going to play it as though we were giving him a break, being nice, and I'd remind him we had three years to file charges on him if he ever caused "any trouble down here again".

It worked. Nobody sued. My boss thought I'd done the right thing. But I learned something.

Don't ever think you can drive around with a gun, even in a rural county, legal or not, unless you are way, way, way on the right side of the law. Don't take any chances.

Don't use a gun sock. Some gung ho, clueless cop might arrest you for it, and you might face prosectution because nobody wants the county sued. Use a case. It can be one of those cases that is made of cloth, is soft, and has a flap and a tie on one end, but don't use a gun sock. If you don't call it a case, then don't use it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You cant fire a gun from a case...but you can from a gun sock. Double check your state laws and keep yourself out of hot water.

Its great to ask advice, but to accept advice from others without actually finding the answer yourself is a disaster waiting to happen.

A good example is a friend of mine, called the game warden's office and spoke with a female "game warden" who told him it was legal to shoot a spike. He went out, shot one and followed the law by checking out at this same game warden's office before going home (a requirement on Vandenberg AFB). They saw the spike and took his hunting privledges away on VAFB and is facing a severe fine in Santa Barbara County. He looked in the hunting regulations and, as clear as day, on the last page, says "NO SPIKES"...

·
Registered
174 Posts
This may be useful, though there is no reference in either document to a definition or other description of what constitutes a case.

2007 Michigan Hunting Guide, p. 10:

"At all times, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms and bows and arrows carried in or on any type of motor vehicle, including ORVs and snowmobiles, must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property."

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2 ... 4859_7.pdf
MICHIGAN NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
Sec. 43513.

(1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

(2) Regardless of whether the person has a license or it is open season for the taking of game, a person may carry, transport, possess or discharge a firearm, a bow and arrow, or a crossbow if all of the following apply:

(a) The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in 1 or more of the following activities:

(i) Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets.

(ii) Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap.

(iii) Sighting-in the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.

(b) The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, either of the following:

(i) The owner of the property on which the activity under subdivision (a) is taking place.

(ii) The lessee of that property for a term of not less than 1 year.

(c) The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the activity under subdivision (a).

(3) A person may carry or possess an unloaded weapon at any time if the person is traveling to or from or participating in a historical reenactment.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(t4yl33 ... fywrfeu045))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-324-43513

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you guys think that a sock is a good protector for guns in the field? I decided that I wanted to let it stay in at least protection that would keep it out of the dirt, so I was thinking of a gun sock or one of those cheap allen cases (the regular case I have is too expensive). I went to Wallyworld, and put a sock in the cart, and at the last minute I switched it with a cheap soft case. Would a sock be adequate protection in the field?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Hawk said:
MICHIGAN NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

A person may carry, ........ hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
Curious wording - the way this sentence is written is can mean "...unstrung AND enclosed in a case or carried..."

I suspect it was intended to mean OR enclosed in a case but it is ambiguous in meaning.

Frank

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I know you are talking about transport, however get the gun out of the soft or hard case with foam padding as soon as you get where you are going. I had a serious rust problem from a two month stint in my hard case. You can put it in a silicone sock then in a padded case if you don't have a safe.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Deerbuster said:
Do you guys think that a sock is a good protector for guns in the field? I decided that I wanted to let it stay in at least protection that would keep it out of the dirt, so I was thinking of a gun sock or one of those cheap allen cases (the regular case I have is too expensive). I went to Wallyworld, and put a sock in the cart, and at the last minute I switched it with a cheap soft case. Would a sock be adequate protection in the field?
I use gun socks, but only after I clean my firearm and its ready to store in the safe. Gunsocks are great at preventing little dings in the safe. Most that I have are impregnated with silicone to help in the fight against rust.

I always transfer mine to a soft sided case before putting them in my car to take to the range. Thicker cushion required to protect against more threats is the way I look at it..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.