Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering a safe room in my basement and will need a door. looking at available doors for built-in gun safes/safe rooms -- I can buy a large gunsafe much cheaper than a safe door -- and the gunsafe doors are large enough to be used as an access door for a built-in gun/safe room. anyone out there that has removed a gun safe door and frame from a large gunsafe and used it in a built-in safe room?

·
Registered
562 Posts
No but it might work. Just cut the back off. I've seen an old bank vault door used that way in a private home. That was pretty cool.

I would think a more cost effective approach is just getting a heavy duty steel door and frame.

Here's a cool one for only $6,500. Two doors. Open the first to display the inner glass one. No one's going to bother with that. They'll just cut through the concrete.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Vault doors can generally be opened from the INSIDE. That's not true of safe doors.

That may or may not be an issue. What are the chances that you'll get locked inside your own vault? What would you do if it happened?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Scardog7 said:
.....They'll just cut through the concrete......
Or through the ceiling/floor as most people (home owners) who install vault doors do not reinforce them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, I don't know much information about vault doors and if they are reliable. But I think you know better what you like and want. I moved now from an apartment to a house and, I chose pre-painted doors for each room. Even for my basement, I went on this idea. I think that for a safe studio, I will go for metal doors. For my entrance, I chose a solid door, the HUSKY PRO Anthracite. They are harder to open and destroy. But, it depends on the purpose that you need. After all, I think that doors are crucial and we need to choose attentively the type and configuration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A safe is one of the most important and necessary things in the house, especially if you need to leave some important papers or something else there. But there is another problem - the lock. You need a lock that will be secure and it will be impossible to open the door. I searched for a long time and finally found good locks for doors, you will not find more reliable, and the price-quality ratio is the best. If you are interested, you can follow the link below and see and familiarize yourself with all kinds of locks that you may need. https://www.howtobecomealocksmith.org/b ... ***-doors/

·
Registered
784 Posts
Or through the ceiling/floor as most people (home owners) who install vault doors do not reinforce them
I'd do a poured concrete room with rebar and a pre-stressed concrete ceiling. It's not a question of making something cut-proof. Nothing is cut-proof. It's making it take an unreasonable amount of time to cut thru it.

·
Registered
Huglu hawk 28ga
39 Posts
I was doing some contract stuff for the military and part of my. Contract had me replacing shielded communication rooms and doors. We are talking 4x8 laminated steel and plywood sheets, 1 1/2" thick. The doors were 500lbs, 6 inch thick, and the hinges 12inch solid metal with some stuff inside to slow cutting.
As my friend was renovating his basement, we built a safe room for him 8x8ft 8ft high. Around that we put regular walls/doors and such. A year after we finished, he had a fire and the safe contents were unharmed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am happy with the overall security of my house for the modest investment I have in guns. I keep them all in a closet secured by a digital deadbolt such as used on residence entry doors. That is sufficient for the child safety aspect of the problem. The backup key is well hidden.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts