Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1988 Citori Lightning that was my Dads. After he passed and I got the gun it had a small note closed in the breech that said second barrel doesn’t fire. I hadn’t shot it until yesterday. He was partly right as the second barrel didn’t fire. I took my finger completely out of the trigger guard heard a click and it then fired.
I’ve read lots of old threads here about this problem. I’m hesitant to work on the gun. It may need a tune up or just a good cleaning. I’ve not been impressed with any gunsmiths I have come across locally. Does anyone have one they would recommend?

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Midwest Gun Works is near you as is Arts Gun shop. Either one should not have any problems sorting out your Citori. Good luck!

Reactions: Rudolph31

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Grands are you talking about? I’m not a competitive shooter excuse my ignorance

·
Registered
29 Posts
What Grands are you talking about? I’m not a competitive shooter excuse my ignorance
“The Grand” is a major ATA trap shoot held in Sparta, IL just SE of St. Louis. They will have multiple vendors, and gunsmiths on site. Even if you don’t shoot competitively, it’s worth checking out. Neat place.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s neat. I’m 112 miles from Sparta. I’m closer to Arts but it would be probably like Disneyland for me to to check out the Grand. Thanks again for your help you guys never disappoint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just an fyi. I have a 1987 Browning Citori that developed a ftf issue in the lower barrel. Sent it to Browning and by looking at the repair sheet, it looked like they nearly did a total rebuild. Wound up costing about half as much as I gave for the gun new. I’m not a target shooter so the gun was not shot a lot.

John

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Just an fyi. I have a 1987 Browning Citori that developed a ftf issue in the lower barrel. Sent it to Browning and by looking at the repair sheet, it looked like they nearly did a total rebuild. Wound up costing about half as much as I gave for the gun new. I’m not a target shooter so the gun was not shot a lot.

John
My buddy had his GTI rebuilt by Browning this past winter. I think it was right around $600.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That’s neat. I’m 112 miles from Sparta. I’m closer to Arts but it would be probably like Disneyland for me to to check out the Grand. Thanks again for your help you guys never disappoint.
Disneyland is a pretty good analogy.

What’s that other old saying, “like a kid in a candy store” ?

Here are some pics from some past Grand(s) :

Joint Shoe Shoulder Chair Standing

Rectangle Textile Tints and shades Tool Pattern

Textile Tarpaulin Sky Motor vehicle Plastic bag

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I did go ahead and remove the stock. Cleaned the receiver really good. Talked to a guy at Arts who suggested a rebuild kit. I reassembled the gun and test fired it again, using factory ammo in the bottom barrel. One thing I noticed right away, keep in mind I’ve never shot this gun, is if I select U it will not fire. I return the gun to safe, select O and it will fire but not the lower barrel. If I pull the trigger 3-4 times it will finally fire. The primer strike is deep. I can take it to the Grands, but will the guys actually work on it for me? Any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My wife and I are going Friday to the Grands. She’s pretty excited just shot her first clay birds last week. I’ll be the guy with a shotgun.

You are both in for a treat, incredible experience every shotgunner should enjoy at least once even if you have ZERO interest in trap. Have fun and be sure to give us a review. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts