Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took a new Beretta 687 to the local gunsmith to have the auto safety converted to manual. I noticed when I got home with it and was wiping it down that the top lever is cutting into the stock when you open the action up.

Is this something that can be fixed easily? Never had this problem and wanted to get some advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
May not have been anything the gunsmith did. If he removed parts that limited the lever travel, then there is your problem. I would take it back and ask him for advise but IMO the solution should be to clearance the stock and refinish in that area. I would be wary if he cut into the metal at points. I hope he has good news for you, but I would want that stock removed so you can look inside for myself.

I am not a gunsmith but Angelo Bee taught me how to disable the safety in my Browning shotguns. It was basically removing parts that I bagged and keep in my safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I put about 100 rounds through it a couple weeks ago when I got it. It wasn’t an issue before taking it to him. That’s why I’m assuming it’s on him, but I don’t understand how it could happen from what he did. I didn’t know if he possibly didn’t align the stock back correctly when putting it back together?

·
Registered
184 Posts
"For a little more info, I took 2 687’s to him only this one has an issue. The other one is fine the best I can tell."

Well get it back to him and talk it over. I am sure he will want to see it. Honestly I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I absolutely plan on carrying it back to him tomorrow. I just don’t want to get smoke blown up my a$$ that’s why I was trying to get an idea of what may have happened. I’ve never used this guy before, but was recommended to me by the gunsmith he took over for.

·
Registered
20,514 Posts
Does the top lever hit that area when you break open the gun? If so, removing the automatic safety bar/wire likely caused the change in travel of the top lever.

OTOH, if the top lever does NOT hit that area, then it's likely that the gunsmith just got careless and caused the dent. If this is the case, then I would be unhappy with the gunsmith's work and would let him know so.

In either case, the solution is likely to just smooth out that dent area with a file or rasp and touch it up with stain.

Reactions: Bowman89

·
Registered
20,514 Posts
Yes the top lever is hitting that area when breaking open the gun currently.
Hmmm, well, likely that was caused by the gunsmith doing the work that you requested be done, so I don't know if it would be right to hold him responsible for this damage. I've never heard of this happening before on guns that had the automatic safety disabled, but perhaps your gun is made differently.

You might mention it to him and ask about it in a non-accusatory manner. Perhaps he can explain why the top lever is now hitting that spot when it wasn't hitting it before. Likely it has something to do with the amount of travel of that lever since the rod/wire that operates the safety is no longer there to limit the travel of the top lever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, and that’s fair enough if it is simply a result of having work done that I requested. I just also like you have never heard of anyone having an issue. The other thing I’m hung up on is that 2 identical 687’s went to him and only one of them has this problem now.

That’s the part that lead me to believe he messed up something, but idk that obviously for sure. I’ve never took an action apart and didn’t trust myself to start on these guns in particular.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
The thumb lever moving further to the right after having the safety removed is an interesting thought. I’d love to know if that is the issue.

My first thought was that he left the lever to the right when he tried to remove the stock.

On a Beretta of this stock design the receiver pretty much hits “home” every time when it is put together carefully.

If the cause is that the lever now moves further to the right than it did before you’d have to have wood removed for clearance and wood finished in that spot to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Most likely that is a result of pulling the stock off while the lever Was in the locked open position. With the barrels off. You need to press in on the detent to close the lever (it will move to center), then take off the stock. I’m surprised an experienced smith would make that mistake.

Assuming it’s an oil finish, you can remove the stock, apply pinpoint steam to the area (soldering iron on a wet piece of folded cloth) to raise the dent. Lightly sand to smooth and apply linseed oil. It won’t look new, but less noticeable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Likely caused by misalignment of the stock on reassembly. There generally is a miniscule amount of play on the stock to receiver for attachment and it seems to have been mounted a hair too high on the receiver. First time the lever was opened, it shaved that corner.

The fix is to loosen the stock and bump it downwards towards the trigger and retighten, check for clearance and spot finish the affected corner....or live with it as is, now that the relief is there anyway, no further damage should happen.

It is highly unlikely to be due to the auto safety mod itself, as this is usually a separate actuator activated by the opening lever, but independent of it mechanically. Meaning the levers throw should not have been affected by the auto safety mod.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@75coupered, this is what I assumed happened. I just wasn’t sure if there was room for play on these. I figured there was since it’s a production model.

I plan on carrying it back to him today, because the lever is actually still contacting the stock. As a matter of fact if you close the barrels very slowly the lever actually gets hung up on the stock. It has more to wear away so I don’t want to make it even worse.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it is raised up that high past your tang fitment, you might need to take the stock back off and make sure it got aligned properly and retightened. Hopefully he didn’t take them all apart at one time and get the stocks swapped on the 2 guns you did take him.

·
Registered
20,514 Posts
If it is raised up that high past your tang fitment, you might need to take the stock back off and make sure it got aligned properly and retightened. Hopefully he didn’t take them all apart at one time and get the stocks swapped on the 2 guns you did take him.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest... that the gunsmith got the stocks swapped on the two 687's. However, I figured that the OP would have noticed this immediately, but perhaps not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's exactly what I was going to suggest... that the gunsmith got the stocks swapped on the two 687's. However, I figured that the OP would have noticed this immediately, but perhaps not.
I had not even thought about that possibility. With both of them being new, I’m not sure how you would notice since they are identical guns. The other one doesn’t have any issues and looks correct to me so I didn’t think about that honestly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just dropped it back off with him. He didn’t have a reason for why it happened other than everything is finely tuned from factory and once you open them up they might not go back together the same.

He’s going to sand it down to clear and touch up with stain, which is about all I can ask for at this point. Wasn’t happy with the explanation but it is what it is now. As long as it’s made right and a decent job I’ll be fine with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I put about 100 rounds through it a couple weeks ago when I got it. It wasn’t an issue before taking it to him. That’s why I’m assuming it’s on him, but I don’t understand how it could happen from what he did. I didn’t know if he possibly didn’t align the stock back correctly when putting it back together?
Bingo.
And his explanation is worse than his work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts