Shotgun Forum banner

H&R .410 Topper Question.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  powwowelll 
#1 ·
I bought a used Deluxe Topper Model 188, a few years ago. I got around yesterday to clean it up some. Bore was easy, chamber was not, it wouldn't chamber a shell. Cleaned up the chamber I thought it was good to go. Then I saw something else. The stud of the front sight protrudes into the barrel about the depth of a fingernail. Is this a problem?

#5 ·
The front bead is fixed, if anyone is interested? I padded a small pair of vise grips, and I was able to unscrew the sight. I've learned that this type of bead is called a "skirted" bead. While the bead was in the vise grips, I filed it down to what I thought was an acceptable length. Chased the beads threads with a triangular file under magnification. Gently! I polished the bead and cleaned the barrel's threads the best I could. Added a copious (too much) amount of blue Loctite. Re-installed the sight, and removed the excess Loctite, ran a patch through the muzzle and I'm calling it good! I'll post pictures a bit later.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.