Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it to the range today with my 20ga. USH. I essentially used Lightfields to get me 2" high of dead center at 50 yrds and my last group of 3 practically covered each other, NICE!!

For my upcoming Ohio hunt I wanted something with more down range energy, so I chose Hornady's and Hastings. The Hornady's however did not shoot to well at 100yrds. I did manage a decent 3 shot group but they were generally inconsistent. I forgot to mention that I used a bore snake with solvent between every 3 shot group.

Next up were the Hastings at 100 yrds. These were pretty decent. I shot two 5 shot groups, each group centered 4 holes within the 4" square with one out of the box by less than an inch but touching the red box border outline. I then tried standing up and leaning against a post and fired two shots at 100 yards. One shot was dead center bullseye and the other was 3 inches away, couldn't ask for better standing up.

As far as hunting deer out 100 yards, the Hastings are more than adequate but I expected even better. I've heard inconsistent reports with the SST's so I wasn't very surprised. I used a very stable platform consisting of a Hoppes bench rest and Protector front and rear rests. I also did the hard-hold method described by Randy Fritz at Lightfield.

I didn't try the Lightfields at 100 yrds but it may be worth a shot. Partitions, Core-Lokts and Barnes are also a possibility. I'll probably go back with a box of Lightfields and maybe the Barnes or Core-lokts just to compare.

Its amazing, $225 gun, $200 scope and $90 worth of ammo so far!!

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely will try the Lightfields at 100 yards, I ran out of shells yesterday. How are they on deer beyond 80 yards?

I noticed with the Hastings that the first two shots are always within about 1.25 inch at 100yards. Maybe I should clean after every two and allow a 5 minute break between shots for cooling.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Your problem may be the cleaning with solvent.Sabot slugs have plastic touching the barrel. If it is like Hastings with a very hard plastic then just shooting the sabots will clean the barrel. If using a soft plastic sabot, strings may be left in the barrel and need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I definitely will try the Lightfields at 100 yards, I ran out of shells yesterday. How are they on deer beyond 80 yards?
The deer I've shot with a 20 gauge lightfield were all less than a 100 yards away. The farthest I've had a deer run after being shot with a lightfield slug is maybe 40 yards. I have a friend who shot an Iowa buck @ 80 yards or so and the deer barely moved.

The lightfields carry enough energy to use them @ ranges up to 125 yards or so. After that, shot placement would become more critical as energy drops under 900 ft lbs.

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't wait to go back to the range. After bore sighting my gun at 50 yards, I was 6 inches from dead center with the first shot. Another advantage to mounting the scope as low as possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
J.Mol, I will also be traveling to Ohio in a few weeks with my USH 20 Ga also. Mine really seemed to like the SSTs pretty well. I got 2" groups at 100 with a makeshift rest and using the holding tecnique you described also.

I did not do any cleaning between shots and fired 20 sabots getting the scope adjusted and just getting use to the gun.

I bought mine used but like new from an individual for $125 and put a $70 Bushnell Trophy shotgun scope on it. The only thing I did was add an O ring to the foreend mounting stud to give the barrel to forend a little gap.

They are really good guns for a little money and this is my first year using one for deer.

Good Luck on your Hunt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oldfrank, seems like I already have that slight gap between the barrel and the front stock that some talk about. I was able to slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock without adding the o-ring.

I was able to zero and have a kill range out to at least 100 yrds with my first visit to the range with this gun. With my next visit, I will be able to really fine tune the accuracy to be comfortable shooting beyond 100 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.