Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are coming into cooler weather after a hot summer and I for one am grateful.
Looking towards winter shooting my biggest issue is keeping my hands warm enough for shooting. Between 40-45 degrees my fingers go numb and my shooting declines drastically. I wear half-finger gloves to maintain dexterity but they don't keep my fingers warm.
I looked around for a solution and this is what I came up with.

Electric hand warmers and a muff.
The muff is insulated with a hand warmer pocket and belt. Toasty!
The electric hand warmer is a Defrost Labs LE 3-in-1 hand warmer w/USB recharging port and a light. I didn't care about the USB port or the light but in our modern world of electronics they are handy features. What I wanted was compact and easy heat and it delivers, five hours of it. Recharge time is the same. This is perfect for two rounds of clays. Its about the size of a cigarette pack. The larger charger is about twice the size and lasts about 11 hours.
This looks like a solidly built product. My only doubt is its ability to handle bad weather, soaking cold rain when you need heat the most. For clay shooting that is not an issue. I rarely shoot in the rain.
I'll post a review after the winter season.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The muff is a good idea, I usually use the disposable packets in them. Though at 40-45 I didn't worry much. Now those years that Iowa's shotgun deer season hit -40 a few times, that took some extra ones. I have not looked into the more modern battery units, how is the run time on them?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small unit lasts five hours, the larger one lasts 11 hours. They both produce the same amount of heat.

The disposable heaters work but have their deficiencies. They don't put out that much heat and I lost confidence in them skiing in the Rockies at 10,000 feet when you need them the most. They heat by a catalytic reaction of an iron compound and oxygen. At 10 grand there is less oxygen and the packs lose efficiency.

I guestimate the electric hand warmer delivers about four times the heat of the disposable warmers. They are hot to the touch and come in a fleece pouch to prevent burns.

I doubt I will need to use these till December so we will have to wait for a trial of how well these things really work.

·
Registered
24,438 Posts
I prefer to use full-fingered golf gloves. They work for the heat and sweat of summer and the chill of winter

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Because of the complexity and reliability of the electric hand warmers, I prefer the chemical ones. Just tear open the pack and they heat up for several hours. They are thin, come in several sizes and have no parts or batteries to fuss with.

But what do I know?...I'm in warm South Carolina!! :)

Demi

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
They have them again. I just checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts