Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine and I are starting a doubles trap league at our club and need some information about handicapping. We really don't know what we're doing but we showed up at the meeting so it's our show. should be fun. Any help for newbies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
JJ.....since singles and doubles league are shot on the 16 yard line, and no handicap yardage is following to level the playing field. You will need to cap the scores, team or individual. Most clubs will add 80% of the lost targets to the actual score. By the team makes it easier with accounting and allows for realistic averaging. By individual basis, a new shooter improving more than 20% every league night allows for scores above perfect. Not all bad, but accomplished shooters will begrudge getting beat based on handicaping. Clubs will do anything to avoid unhappy shooters, especially their most avid shooters. The more targets the shooter pays for at a club the higher the priority. Simple business economics.

I have never offered or participated in a doubles league in any club that I have helped with or managed. Better ideas may be available by other posters.

Scratch scoring allows for a stacked team to win every time. Although a very experienced team is usually the winner no matter what the rules are. Only drawing for teams and mixing AA, A, B, C, D shooters to make up a team would allow for a level playing field shooting scratch. Thereto, classifying will be the challenge. Shooters like to pick their own teams, and friends to compete with anyway. League is fun shooting and less competitive. Although, bet all your money there will be a few very competitive personalities shooting in any event no matter designed intent.

This will be an interesting thread.....got any ideas, boy's?

Maltzie

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Our trap leagues also handicap by giving 80% of the difference between the top-scoring team for that week and the rest.
This means that the only score that really counts is the last week's (of the league) score. Unless, of course, your team really sucks.....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Both. We have team awards (Top Team and Second Place Team), and individual awards (Top Gun and High Lady).

·
Registered
420 Posts
We use the following for hdcp doubles - assumes 25 pair each week:

Week 1, 2 and 3 scratch scores added together and divided by 3. This number subtracted from 49. The result is the hdcp added to week 1 score to equal hdcp score and max score with hdcp is 49. We reserve the 50 for the raw perfect score of 50. It is rarely achieved but a real accomplishment.

Week 2 scratch score plus week 1 scratch score divided by 2 subtracted from 49 equals hdcp added to score for week 2. Again and for all weeks the max score with hdcp is 49.

Continue for as many weeks as there are in the league. We use accumulative scores (scratch plus hdcp) to determine individual and team winners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts