Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all:

I picked up a beautiful Model 12 Winchester .12 Gauge manufactured in 1917 (nickel steel barrel) - full choke. Today I grabbed three boxes of Federal Game Load HI-Brass 7 1/2 shot at the store and noticed after I got home that it notes they contain "hard shot" lead. I planned on putting a box through the gun this weekend at the clay range in preparation for small game season.

Am I safe shooting these through the Model 12? I have read everything about steel shot in older guns but was not sure about hard lead? Any thoughts, opinions, advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I had an analysis done on a pre-1920 Model 12 Nickle Steel barrel and it was non-standard (slightly low Ni & Mn) AISI 2340 medium carbon low alloy steel with a tensile strength of 124,000 psi - better than the steel in lots of shotgun barrels today.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Hi all:

I picked up a beautiful Model 12 Winchester .12 Gauge manufactured in 1917 (nickel steel barrel) - full choke. Today I grabbed three boxes of Federal Game Load HI-Brass 7 1/2 shot at the store and noticed after I got home that it notes they contain "hard shot" lead. I planned on putting a box through the gun this weekend at the clay range in preparation for small game season.

Am I safe shooting these through the Model 12? I have read everything about steel shot in older guns but was not sure about hard lead? Any thoughts, opinions, advice?

Thanks!
"Hard" lead is one heck of a lot softer than steel, ANY steel.....

Reactions: The Happy Kaboomer

·
Registered
497 Posts
The biggest difference that matters between Chilled and Magnum shot is the Density is different. As a result if you load with 3/4 ounce of Magnum shot you'll get perhaps 10 or 15 more pellets than with 3/4 ounce of Chilled shot. It's why Skeet shooters are always looking for Magnum shot, one of those extra pellets might be that "magic BB" that saves a straight.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
"Hard lead shot" compared to "Normal lead shot" (also called "chilled shot") is similar to comparing butter that's been out of the fridge for 5 minutes to butter that's been out of the fridge for 10 minutes. IT WON'T HURT YOUR M-12 BARREL!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Be cautious. Please check the chamber length of your model 12. I believe that the ones of that era are 2 9/16. Not 2 3/4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts