Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the hardest (within 35 yards), or most unique presentations that you've seen? I asked a question similar a while back, but it was (favorite presentations).

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
For me it's the midi going away downhill RABBITS.

Man I hate that station.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had a nice true pair that got me a 3 of 6. A rabbit with a passing duck in the other direction. The rabbit was a 20 yds, but the duck was at 40 and moving slightly away! If I hit the bunny I couldn't swing back fast enough to hit the duck, if I hit the duck the bunny was long gone! Last time I went they changed the station to a report pair. I guess I wasn't the only one to mess it up.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
A very high quatering target from the left at about 30 yds but thats not the hard part.It's a black midi that flies against a background of trees and it's damn near impossible to see.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pigeonhunter,

Sounds like that was just a bad presentation. I hate when someone sets one where you can't see the clay, and I hate to see very short window shots.

One club I went to, had a clay that came at you up hill at a slight angle, and the clay was tilted so that it would curve to the right. It was not fast, and looked to be a easy shot, but I missed several. I thank the hill played tricks on the eyes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Robert K,
I also used to have trouble with rabbits because I was shooting in front of them. Although it seems like it is in hyper-speed, the rabbit is the slowest target because it is catching friction along the ground. I thought i was missing behind and led more and missed many that way. I was instructed to lean in more on the rabbit target, always keep the barrel below the roll path of the target and hard focus on the "front feet" of the rabbit and it worked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Speaking of rabbits and bad presentations , how about a true pair of rabbits thrown from about 35 yards out and STRAIGHT UP to land about 10 yards infrot of the stand and the only part of the target you see is the edge :twisted: . One guy on my squad was using #8's and had three targets change direction apon impact but no chips fell. I only broke 2 out of 10 because I dug around in my hunting coat and came up w/ 2 # 4 -1 1/4 -max dram equivlent. Not a legal load but I wish I had 8 more. Or how about the trap @3:00 about 20 yrds on the right, the target flight is parrellel to the ground and 6' high through very heavy brush into a window only 50 feet wide 15yards infront of you. I scored the big zip :x :x :x at that station as well.

G

·
furner- talk about giving opinions, and not facts WOW! The best shooters will get 8/8 on springing teal. As for tough presentations, try the flourescent green minis. They are all but invisible against most backgrounds.

G

·
How about a right to left battue thrown as a chandelle from a 40' tower? I dread being the first gun on that peg.

V/R
James

G

·
Throwing black targets against a dark background or having impossibly short windows, etc is just silly.

Last year, a small club I shot at had a presentation that seemed easy and was very straight forward and fair, but it caused problems for many of the shooters. The station consisted of 3 sets of reports pairs. They were true 90 degree crossers at about 35 yards and were thrown from a manual Lincoln. The targets stayed up nice and were out in the open. They were easy to see and you could shoot them where ever you prefered. The first report pair were both standard targets, the second pair was a standard followed by a Midi and the third pair was a standard followed by a Mini. Only one shooter cleaned that station all day and the squads shot through twice as it was only a 50 bird course.

Gregg535

·
Registered
117 Posts
Standing at station one on the skeet range and throw a double... one from the high house and one from the trap house. I try to shoot the trap house first, but by that time the high house bird is WAY out there. Its a good way to humble your self if you think you're a good shot. Then move to station two.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is one station at Heritage Meadow, I've yet to hit after going there three times. It goes right to left falling away from the shooter. Everyone seem to have trouble with it but they seem to at least get one or two out of eight. Me, ZERO out of 24. I think I may need to get some additional birds there. Tried, more lead, less lead, no lead heck the ones that do the best shoot them right before they hit the ground.

·
Registered
457 Posts
At Cherokee Rose this past weekend, there was a pair with a black rabbit and orange bird. The rabbit was about 15 yards to the left and thrown off a ramp so it had a good jump. The bird was thrown from just behind the rabbit, about 6' high in the same direction. Not all that hard of a shot, but it caused many people to become cross-eyed. It was obvious you had to hit the rabbit in the air first and then get the bird, but many people couldn't stay focused on the black rabbit against a wooded background. When the orange bird came whizzing across their field of vision, their eyes would instinctively try to follow the bird. Many zeros on that station as a result. One guy on our squad got lucky. He popped the bird and got lucky with the rabbit on the ground since it didn't break.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We had a high 'goose' thrown from about 50' up, comming from behind, crossing left to right, flying level. Not only is it optically decieving, but as the target is fairly big and tough (not a standard clay) it always seemed you had to hit it pretty hard to break it. I have seen PLENTY wobble when shot at, and continue flying.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had forgotten about this one. At Ocmulgee a few months ago, there was a true pair chandelle/rabbit from the same trap. The rabbit rolled down a hill in front of you and you had to hit it pretty quick to get the chandelle. Many people were trying the chandelle first and by then the rabbit was in the tall grass. One guy had an inovative (although unsportsmanlike) way of killing the chandelle. He would hit the rabbit and wait for the chandelle to hit the ground. About 75% of the time, it would stay intact and roll for just a little bit. It was during this roll that he would pick it up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.