Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone shoot these slugs for deer?

Can the reduced recoil slugs (roughly 1200 fps) kill the deer as well as the higher velocity (1700-1900 fps) slugs?

I can get a case over at the ASSA site for a great price, but have no experience in shooting them.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience with them?

Joe

·
Registered
864 Posts
I know this is not really answering your question. I load the Lyman sabot in the 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch shell at 1200 fps. The ladies and children love them, because they are low recoil, and very accurate out to 100 yards. Also yes, they have put many midwestestern whitetails in the freezer with them.

If the slug is designed to use most of its energy, inside the deer, it is going to do the job :D

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wileyhunter

Thanks for the reply...I kind of figured the low recoil slugs would do the job nicely...it's just that everyone always thinks more is always better...more speed...more money...more everything, except for more recoil!

I will take the plunge and get the reduced recoil slugs...from what I have read, the hastings low recoil slugs are super accurate and retain high levels of kinetic energy within 100 yards.

Good Hunting.

Joe

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
cleboje said:
the reduced recoil slugs (roughly 1200 fps)

Joe
Joe,

You might want to check that number...the number that I have, (which came from ASSA), says the slugs are only getting 1020fps. That would mean you would be likely to achieve only high 900fps in most factory guns.

If you are concerned about recoil, (but are also concerned about performance), I would highly suggest looking at the Remington Copper solids. They only produce about 30% more recoil than the Hastings....However, they produce approximately 70%+ more energy at the muzzle.... :shock:

IMHO..That is a trade off that is certainly worth considering.

JC

·
Registered
965 Posts
jcchartboy said:
cleboje said:
the reduced recoil slugs (roughly 1200 fps)

Joe
Joe,

You might want to check that number...the number that I have, (which came from ASSA), says the slugs are only getting 1020fps. That would mean you would be likely to achieve only high 900fps in most factory guns.

If you are concerned about recoil, (but are also concerned about performance), I would highly suggest looking at the Remington Copper solids. They only produce about 30% more recoil than the Hastings....However, they produce approximately 70%+ more energy at the muzzle.... :shock:

IMHO..That is a trade off that is certainly worth considering.

JC
While we're using ASSA numbers, might want to look at Hastings 2 3/4 standard loads, that fall in the same recoil/energy range as the Remingtons, if recoil is the only issue. Hastings ballistics are derived from testing in standard Hastings barrels, not the 30" precision smoothbore barrels that some of the big guys use, so a 1020 fps figure they cite is going to be very close to field results. When pressed about the low recoil/youth slugs' effective range on deer, factory response is they recommend not more than 75 yards shots with that load, citing the point that a high degree of accuracy out to that distance from most rifled barrels is the main focus for that round. Of course there are a number of reduced recoil choices and some light recoil standard loads that are also good candidates, it's just a matter of finding out what your gun likes the best.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have used the LR slugs in a smoothbore barrel with a Rifled choke and acheived very good results in accuracy. I have not shot a deer with them yet, but anticipate good results out to 75-80 yards.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vabowhntr

My problem is that after a lifetime of shooting, I have finally become very sensitive to recoil and the high velocity slugs really rock me like no tomorrow.

Since I still love to shoot, I am trying to stay in the game with the LR slugs...I figure if they are no worse than light skeet or trap loads, I should be able to handle them.

What brand of LR slugs did you use? Any tips on shooting the LR slugs?

Best Regards

Joe

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been using the hastings low recoil slugs. They are very mild shooting as slugs go, but still have a little felt recoil. The weird thing is I can hear them going downrange when I shoot at 50 yards. It is quick, but you can hear a sound as they travel to the target. As far as accuracy goes, I have been shooting them in my 870 with a Mossberg barrel @ 18.5 inches that I had Mike Orlen thread for choke tubes. I wanted to add an extended rifled choke, which has worked out well. I have been able to shoot numerous (almost all) 3 shot groups that all holes were touching, with several that you had to look to see that all the slugs went through the same hole. I got really lucky with this setup! I think the short barrel helps on these as the recoil while the slug is in the barrel is sig. A consistant hard hold is important, or I get a little vertical stringing.

I shot these in my american barrel co barrel on this gun and was shooting about 2" groups at 50 yards. I have shot them in my Mossberg 695 bolt action rifled slug gun and have done a little over 1" CTC at 50 yards. I really think these are great at the range. I have not shot them at a deer though, but I think out to 75-80 yards they will work fine. I have heard of others who think they will do fine out to 100 yards, but the energy is starting to drop at that range. The area that I hunt is slug only and 50 yards is a longer shot on most of the property, so these should work great. If we hunt the fields, we use muzzleloaders.

If you don't have a rifled gun (or rifled choke) I would also suggest the low recoil slugs from B&P that are sold by eabco.com. I have been able to get consistent 2" groups with these at 50 yards with an IC choke. I don't think I would use them much farther than that for deer, though, as they are light on energy.

One other to look at if you have a rifled gun is the managed recoil copper solid. This sounds like it will be an excellent round and may be the one I use if my 695 likes them. Recoil should be in the range of the Hastings LR, but they should be solid performers out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The weird thing is I can hear them going downrange when I shoot at 50 yards. It is quick, but you can hear a sound as they travel to the target.
Not weird at all, merely caused by the fact that the slug leaves the barrel sub-sonic :D

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
to take advantage of the high power slugs i switched to a knox stock, takes almost all the bite out. looks kinda funny but it works.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice on the low recoil slugs, vabowhntr.

I think I will try out the hastings and remmy low recoil slugs to see which one give the best groups at 50-75 yards.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts