Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new 650 with the new priming system, and have enjoyed producing almost perfect STS loads it right from the get-go. (Thanks to MEC for setting it up correctly from the factory)

This evening I received an older LNIB Sizemaster 12-ga kit which by the accompanying brochures and paperwork seems to have been sold around 1979-1981.

Even the outer shipping box is original, and the press is clean in every way except for some slight freckling of rust on the priming piston. Other than that, it's like new.

It came with a UCB (marked MADE In CANADA) plus a standard 118 charge bar, along with the old-style automatic primer feed with the chain.

My reloads with my 650 are working 100% thru my Browning Gold Fusion. I like the fact that several shells are in various stages of being loaded in unison. It's fast enough that I am loading about 4-5 shells per minute with it.

I did a search here and it seems that the Sizemaster is held in fairly high esteem as THE best single stage loader. I was thinking of selling it but maybe I should hold on to it. Perhaps I can leave the 650 set up for my 1-1/8 loads and delve into lower shot charges on the Sizemaster with a new charge bar (I don't think I will like the UCB....).

What would you recommend I do with it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am a green horn, but I would keep it for the very reason you stated...with the price of lead shot these days you gotta try out the lighter shot charges.

I can't say for sure but if I were in your shoes I'd more than likely be opposite and end up setting the progressive up for loading all my practice 7/8 oz. stuff and the Sizemaster for occasional 1 1/8 when I felt I really needed them...depends on the type of shooting one does I guess.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Sell them both, and then get a MEC 8567 or 9000. I would think you would eventually run into trouble shooting an auto and not resizing. Unless I am mistaken and the Fusion is an O/U.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
You could use the sizing station on the sizemaster to size shells, then load them on the 650.
I would suggest keeping the sizemaster. I can not see the down side of haveing an extra reloader to experiment with.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Years ago I did what Bill M suggested. I was loading on a Sizemaster and was given a 650.

Because I needed the shells resized, I simply did the resize/deprime operation on the Sizemaster as a separate operation, and then ran them thru the 650 to load them. Worked fine and certainly speeded up the production.

As an aside, I learned many years ago that when using a single stage reloader, it was best to do the deprime/resize operation as a separate operation anyway. This step is the one that usually imparts more vibration to the loader, than all other operations combined, making consistant powder drops almost impossible.

Once all hulls were deprimed and resized, I then started at the prime station and continued on through the loading process.

Using this procedure easily cut the powder drop variations in half or better, making your ammo far more consistant in velocity and performance.

DLM

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just use a little steel wool on the primer piston and you will be good to go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts