3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jwoolf 
#1 ·
Have you ever shot in England?
Yes834.78%
No but would like to1356.52%
No, not my bag28.70%

#2 ·
Hello all,

I thought it would be interesting to just take a quick straw poll of who (if any) of you have been over to England to shoot. For those of you that have, any comments on your experience would be great. Doesn't matter what you were doing (clays, game, vermin etc.), just your comments.

Cheers,

Ben

#3 ·
I would love to go and hunt wood pigeon and driven pheasant.
I'll probably hunt wood pigeon first. Just because it's so much cheaper :wink: And I'm a pigeon hunter :D
Also the picazuro pigeon is on my list 8)

#4 ·
I have shot clays at West Wycombe and at the Holland and Holland shooting grounds in Northwoods. At trip to East London is on the list for a future visit.

West Wycombe was excellent. The simulated grouse butt and the walk-up course were dynamite. I was also fitted during my visit.

Holland and Holland was a different experience. They were just under new management when I was there and didn't have as much to offer as West Wycombe. I purchased a couple hours of instruction and it was great because I had the chance to shoot a Holland Sporting Gun and a 28 gauge Royal o/u. It was definitely worth the price of the lessons just for the chance to shoot these guns. :D

Hunting wood pigeon is something I would like to do. I ate wood pigeon in a little country pub in the Bucks and it was one of the two best fowl dishes I've every eaten. It was delicious.

#5 ·
Hi PJR, next time you make a trip over be sure to drop me a line. I live in London and can show you around some of the better places to break a few clays. H&H shooting ground has come on a long way now, have some really challenging layouts. Their guns are like pieces of art too, but $75,000.00 for their O/U is a little out of my league at present!!

#6 ·
benjjwilliams said:
Hi PJR, next time you make a trip over be sure to drop me a line. I live in London and can show you around some of the better places to break a few clays. H&H shooting ground has come on a long way now, have some really challenging layouts. Their guns are like pieces of art too, but $75,000.00 for their O/U is a little out of my league at present!!
Out of my league too. As I walked back to the main building at H&H carrying the Royal o/u I asked the instructor what it would sell for. He quietly said, "Sixty." In other words, 60,000 pounds sterling. I never did ask whether that included the VAT or not. :lol:

The eye opener was the Holland Sporting Gun. It wasn't very impressive for a gun in that price range when you could for the same amount buy three SCO grade Perazzis.

Thanks for the invite and would extend the same should you find yourself in southern Ontario.

#7 ·
Yep, $100,000 for a shotgun, makes me want to cry! The choice between that and half a Bentley is too much to bear!!

I am toying with the idea of a US trip specifically for hunting maybe next year, will post details as soon as I pull my finger out.

Cheers,

Ben

G
#9 ·
benjjwilliams said:
Yep, $100,000 for a shotgun, makes me want to cry! The choice between that and half a Bentley is too much to bear!!
Just popped in and thought i should drop you a line. I live in country where there is still something to hunt and there is some possibilities to go hunting. And you dont have to be rich if you want to hunt. We hunt with equipments which are suitable for hunting. Prices of hunting equipments (guns) are usually between 500-2000 euros here. They kill properly and last over 100 years if cleaned and oiled after every use. More important is the value of the hunter.

No offence ment. Have a nice day.

Jouko

G
#11 ·
I live in the UK. IN the south (BERKSHIRE) Its great for clay and Game, Vermin to. The Driven Pheasent shooting is Second to none. Partridges, Grouse, Ducks,Geese,woodcock,Snipe etc etc its great. Jump on the plane you will love it.

#12 ·
I've always wanted to go to England or Scottland for a traditional hunt.

I shoot skeet and sporting clays here in the states and love to hunt here.

( I'm going pheasant hunting this Friday )

I've always wanted to go on one of these hunts. I've threatened my wife that the next time we cross the pond, I'm going to go on a wingshoot.

( what can she complain... I already have all the other vices... I LOVE great scotch and, I LOVE cigars too! ) I'm smoking a Ramon Allones Gigante (sp?) now! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.