Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: This may be off topic to this board but needed a place to start.

Many of you (from what I have read) have a SG for home defense as well as a side arm (pistol, revolver, bat, crowbar, etc..).

Where can I find more info (a board if possible) of good home defense handguns? I've heard that revolvers are best (but the price is crazy!) and the glock (??sp??) is something else I keep hearing about.

Any links or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
www.thefiringline.com

several handgun forums plus lots more

good luck 8)

my fave is the Springfield Armory XD .40 S&W Sub Compact

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Handgun preference is 10 times worse than shotgunnery biases.

As you know, rentals are a good way to try at least a few different flavors at the gun range, but I have found that the range in O'side has some seriously well worn rentals. not saying they are bad, but the sights are usually kind of crappy or most of them seem to shoot low.

Glocks are an ergonomic gun that I really liked until I sold it because it wouldn't shoot straight enough. What really happened was that I discovered 1911's. Since you can only have a 10+1 in this state, anything (especially revolvers) should be taken into consideration. there is a sweet 8 shot smith and wesson wheel gun I'd get if I had any money right now.

I sometimes frequent 1911forum. With the exception of some of the current popular/ reliable handguns, most of the best actions and firearms were all invented over 50 years ago. the revo's and 1911's chew the centers out of targets compared to a lot of the police style stuff out there.

that said, one might buy a model that could accept a high cap magazine for when one leaves the PRK.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sigforum.com has lots of good info, and not just about sigs either.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, yet accurate and well built pistol, check out CZ: czusa.com. I'm still in CA 10 day purgatory waiting for my CZ-97B: all steel, ten rounds of .45ACP with an accuracy that takes over a grand to get in a 1911.

Or you could go plastic. SigPros and Springfield XDs have gotten good responses. Hell, lots of people love their glocks.

Try buying used, very few people wear out pistols. You might want to check out sigfourm.com or calguns.net classifieds for good deals on good guns.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I echo what mike100 and 870pilot say.

Handgun preference is 100% personal. What is good for one MIGHT be good for another. Different sizes, bells and whistles.

Here, in Maryland, we must now have an 'approved' lock at time of purchase of a new handgun. Sales of used handguns are brisk. (From what I understand, they are exempt from that law, but, others apply.) :(

Wheelgun. . . . semi-auto. . . . I have them both. 9mm, .45 acp., .357 magnum, .44 magnum.
Just like scatterguns - - - You can NEVER have too many!

May your quest for the perfect handgun lead you to several! (You will be 'bitten' by the 'bug' the same as everyone else.)

Keith

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.