Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently involved in butchering several buffalo and tried using my brother's 7mm Rem Mag with Remington Core Lokts. Unfortunately, two head shots to one of these beasts isn't enough.

These are young buffalo being raised just for meat, so we shot them in their pen not but 8 yards away from us. We just recently picked up a 45-70 to do the job, but I want to experiment a little, also.

Anyone recommend any bullet which should keep one down? It has to be a head shot to save every piece of meat possible. Does anyone make a full metal jacket in 7mm? I would love to load something in my 30-30 that would knock one down, but what about bullets in the 7mm range?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
The buffalo ranch a couple miles down from me uses .38 Spl or .380 ACP when slaughtering their animals. They had one instance of a ricochette which happened to hit an employee about 12 years ago otherwise they have been very satisfied. I have also seen the airless nailers like Paslode's used with fine results.
At 8 yards you are likely stressing the bullet design way beyond any parameters it was designed to encounter. Bullet velocity is still very high and the bullet is nearly disintergrating on contact. A switch to a heavier and slower bullet with tougher construction like a Nosler Partition might work better but you are still stressing the bullet tremendously plus they are spendy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were able to shoot one or two behind the ears with a .44 Mag and that still took a couple of shots. But mostly of the way the pen was set up and where others where located, headshots were almost necessary.

I was actually looking at the Nosler Partition Golds. They look like they should do it. I saw those solid Barnes bullets on www.midwayusa.com and the reviews looked pretty good. I might buy a box of each and try them both next time they got more to butcher.

Never thought about the nailers. A couple of the guys are in construction...

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
This may sound crazy, but shoot the thing head on and aim for an imaginary cross centered from ear to opposing eye. Where the two lines cross should be the brain. Use enough gun (solid lead would be my recommendation) from a 44mag lever gun or the 45-70 you spoke of to get through the thick skull. 44 mags are cheaper.

No. That ain't me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Last year me and my cousin butchered two penned elk for a guy we know. The first was shot with a .38 special revolver with 158 grain bullets. The results were less than stellar. The elk took 4 shots to the head before it expired... turned my stomach to see it suffer, so for the other one he used a .35 remington 180 grn and the elk dropped dead instanly with one shot. All shots were 15-20 yards away. The elk were a little spooky of people. I was only a bystander not the guy behind the gun. Next time i told him to use a slug or 000 buckshot. Now for a buffalo i would go with a brenneke style slug or a large caliber pistol or rifle with slow, heavy bullets.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is a shotgun forum after all, isn't it?

Try the Winchester XX Supreme Copper Plated 12 Pellet 00 2 3/4" buckshot load. It hits hard and patterns tight, and is more than enough firepower for buff. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Maybe try looking into those 'dixie slugs'

apparently other slugs on the market are made from a soft lead, that when it hits something expands and although penetrates a good deal, does not lend its self to big big game, like buffalo.

What they have been saying they use is a much harder lead that will not deform and is basically made to just keep going deeper and deeper and never expand or break apart, lending itself to nice deep penetration.

I'm sure one of these to the right spot in the skull would blast right through and cause a very large wound channel.

I have no personal expereince with them, just info from reading their forum but it seems like a great idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will try the Nosler Partition Golds in 7MM, deer slugs, and I will also try some Barnes bullets next time in someting slow such as my 30-30.

Hopefully next time, we will be able to get a head shot from the side.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Equismith said:
This may sound crazy, but shoot the thing head on and aim for an imaginary cross centered from ear to opposing eye. Where the two lines cross should be the brain. Use enough gun (solid lead would be my recommendation) from a 44mag lever gun or the 45-70 you spoke of to get through the thick skull. 44 mags are cheaper.

No. That ain't me.
The imaginary cross is the correct way to do it with any bovine.
Hit the spot and they will drop instsntly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've never killed a buffalo, but they obviously have thick heads.

I've seen a steer killed with a 22-250 shot between the eyes. Took two shots to knock it down.

Another with a 12 gauge slug dropped on the spot.

Slaughtering pigs I have seen guys use a 36 calibre black powder revolver, which worked if you hit the right spot and a .22 long rifle, which unless you hit the brain, the pig just absorbs.

I shot my own pig with a 7.62x54R Russian rifle using 180 grain Norma hunting soft-point bullets and the pig was eating his last meal with his head down and I shot him in the head and he kept eating.

I'd missed the brain and hi thim in the nose and he didn't even notice and I had to shoot again.

I'd use a 12 gauge slug if I was close enough to be certain of a good hit, a 45-70 sounds good too, but I know a guy who bought a buff at a farm in Alberta and the farmer used his 30-30 Winchester to good effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts