Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used Mossberg 590 that came with a heat shield. My first day out at the range, the shield came off from the front and rear mounts, due to being old, poorly maintained, and rusted. I cleaned the rust and reattached the shield to the mount locations, but I noticed that there's still a little play in the front mount. Is there supposed to be a screw or two through the eyelets in the front mount, to keep the shield secured to the barrel, or is it supposed to be loose? I can pull the shield forward because it's not permanently attached to the barrel or receiver in any way, but I don't know if this is right or not. Any assistance would be most helpful!
Thanks a million,
-Kevin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes. Both eyelets in the front are supposed to have a small bolt and nut the squeeze the band around the barrel. Local hardware store should be able to hook you up. Also, Mossbergs factory equiped w/ heatshields have a small peice that goes between the band to keep you from over tightening and extends forward to the front to keep back and forth play to a minimum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha,
Mine does not have the piece to keep it from sliding forward, nor the factory bolts. I'll swing by Home Depot to grab some small bolts, and I'll just be careful to not over tighten it.
Thanks for your help!
-Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts