Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read (somewhere on the internet) that the Heavy Duck was not manufactured until 1935. I just purchased one which serial number (806286) implies that it was manufactured in 1931, if the SS/SX M12 serial numbers were contained within the Standard M12 serial number range. It has the forend wood of a 1920's/30's M12 and buttstock configuration of early 1930's era M12s. It's stamped "Super Speed & Super X 3 IN." It has a 32" Full plain barrel with very thick walls and a buttplate rather than a recoil pad. Can anyone confirm the earliest manufacture of the Heavy Duck? Are there different serial number ranges for standards and 3" receiver guns?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Same serial range as the rest of the model 12 production...Your HD model 12 was actualy made in 1939 [779456-814121]...It is said that some of the first HD guns came with stocks with the standard buttplate but I have never seen one....But those stocks would be on guns in the upper 680000 range not ythe 800000 range....Your gun should have a solid Winchester butt pad and about 4ounces of lead in the buttstock....Pre War HD guns are desirable/collectable and if in nice shape one of the rarer 32in ones is a very nice find.....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello Stewart: I have to agree with gunut 1, your gun was made in 1939, (ref riffles book, pg 86).

All duck guns have heavy barrels, both the 30 and 32 inch versions. Also the Red rubber recoil pad was standard on a Duck Md 12. If yours doesn't have one I suspect the stock has been replaced, because they were weighted as gunut 1 said.

Now on rare occassion you will run across a Duck that the serial number pre-dates the 1935 introduction. For awhile after the HD came out Winchester offered to convert any standard Md 12 into a Duck gun, for about half the price of a new HD. The new parts required were barrel, mag band, mag plug stop, action slide, they remachined the bolt, modified the trigger guard, new cartridge stop, different barrel chamber ring and at the customers request new butt stock.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting; thanks to both of you for the replies. The serial number information came from the gunshop clerk (from a book). The buttstock has some cracking at the action face, which I've repaired with injected epoxy. I suspected that the serial number information was faulty because I have a Standard Model 12 in the 700,000 range that I'd dated later than the "1931" date told to me. I just wasn't sure if the SS&SX model and Standard model serial numbers were assigned from the same range of numbers. Aside from the serial number I mentioned there is a three digit number stamped on the face of the buttstock and several of the action pieces (996 or 669 I think) that lead me to believe that this may in fact be the original buttstock to the gun. Perhaps the hard plate was a special request from the factory although I can't imagine someone wanting to punish themselves like that. I thought I'd install a Winchester pad (by Galazan) in any event. There's no lead in the buttstock either by the way, just a single 7/8" bore for the action bolt. I thought I'd install a recoil reducer in place of the lead to compensate for the heavy barrel (and make my shooting experience a bit more enjoyable.)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question if you don't mind... is there any way to tell if this is an original or converted gun, aside from the configuration of the buttstock? Any idea about the three digit number stamped on some of the components?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello Stewart: Well since your butt stock has no weigth in it, it's not an original "DucK" butt stock. All Ducks, Field Grade, Deluxe Field Grade, Special Field Grade, Deluxe Special Field Grade, Trap, and Pigeon guns had a weighted butt stock. It was for the balance, since the barrel assy on a Duck was so much heavier than a standard Md 12.

Now if you turn the gun over like you were to load it, from the front of the trigger gaurd, to the end of the opening in front of the carrier, that length is approx. 2 and 13/16 inches on a standard Md 12, a Duck that length is 2 and 7/8 inches. Sorry I don't have a pair of calipers handy.

Now most web sites and serial number references, use George Maddis' numbers from his Frist Edition serial number for Winchesters. When Mr. Maddis was doing his research, Winchester, (the Olin Corp.) wouldn't let him have access to all the records. so he had to do some estimating from sales records. Now when Dave Riffle was researching his book USRA owned Winchester and he was able to use manufacturing records, that Mr. Maddis wasn't able to do. so when it comes to dating a Md 12, I always use Rifflle as a refference.

I do have some original "Duck" butt stocks if your interested, just PM me.

Regards Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts