Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the forum and need advice on a gun! Looking for a good, reliable semi-auto 12 or 20 gauge that I can shoot. Mainly, I shoot skeet and my old SxS needs someone to help take the load off! Any suggestions?

Nice to be here!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay good. I was kinda eyeballing a remington, didn't think about the beretta! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just my opinion here,

The 1100/1187 , Browning Gold and the Beretta 390/3901 all have the same feel to me. All feature a larger fore-end. All have good actions and are well known as being guns that will last you quite some time.
The Urika 391 and Urika 2 391 have slimmer fore-ends. These seem to be the 'standard' at many of the bigger shoots (at least in as much as the Semi's go).
The Benelli versions (M2 and other Models) have an even slimmer feel to the fore-end than does the 391 family. These are NOT gas operated, rather, they are inertia operated. Somewhat easier to clean than the 391's and others.

All are good guns. find one that fits your physique and also fits your wallet and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Beretta 391, most bang for the buck. The guns come with shims to adjust fit and 2 pads to adjust lop. I have seen used 391s for as low as $600 and new (on sale) can run from $800. The Urika 2 is a better dollar value than the Teknys and are basically the same gun internally (same guts). The Teknys is just a little better looking and alot more money. I have a couple with over 25,000 rds thru them and they are just broken in. Go to your local range and give one a try, most have rental guns.

TJ

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
There are quite a few good semi auto's for clays. Here are some well made and reliable ones. Most have already been mentioned.

Benelli Super Sport,Sport II, Beretta AL391,3901,390 Wal Mart(B/S finish only), Browning Gold's,Fusion,Evolve,Silver, Franchi 712, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2,SX3.

They range in price from about $550.00 to $1,500.00. They all come with or have shims available to adjust the stock for a better fit. They all cycle light loads associated with clays.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A buddy picked up a used 390 in great condition at a local shop. Since the beretta 390/391/3901 family has been around for a while, and the Rem. 1100/1187 have been around even longer, you should be able to find plenty of them used. It might be a good way to save a few bucks or get a nicer grade for the same price if you know what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you shoot skeet at a club lots of guys must shoot lots of different guns. At my club I've NEVER heard someone say "No! You can't shoot my gun!" Ask around, try a bunch, shop around. That way you can convince yourself you made an intelligent decision on this gun before you go shopping for your next. Welcome aboard. Wanna try one of my Franchi's??????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.