Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new CZ Ringneck SxS 28 gauge and the left barrel won't fire. Any suggestions before I send it to the warranty dept. and don't see it until the hunting season is over? The trigger breaks like normal for both sides, but on the left it's only click, and no boom. I tried moving the selector to either side and it doesn't matter. The right barrel fires fine, either first or second depending on the selector. The primers on the left side weren't being struck. This is my first SxS so I'm not too familiar with their workings, but I'd appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Answer to your problem:

Take it back and insist on a BobWhite instead! (Get the difference between them back in cash!) Two triggers! Much simpler, and more dependable! Never buy a cheaper, single selective trigger gun of any make. Even a non-selective single trigger is much better in the dependability department.

(BTW, it could be a broken firing pin, seems like I heard that some of the early models had that problem. My three BobWhites. .410, 28, and 20, have been totally trouble free.)

Clyde

·
Registered
388 Posts
Aaron12.

AS mentioned it sounds like a broken firing pin.

Before you send it back you might check with your gunshops or gunsmiths to see if they have a new pin, they are cheap and easy to install.

If not, call the warranty dept and tell them you are sending it overnight and would appreciate having it fixed and returned the same.
I just had a similar situation and did what I said and had it back the morning of the 6th day.
Yes it cost me to have it done but I needed the gun.

UF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dont send it in yet. It may simply be that you are not opening the gun far enough to cock the left hammer. This happened to me and others I know. Make sure you open the gun all the way and then try firing. Otherwise its the firing pin.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
20 ga. said:
It may simply be that you are not opening the gun far enough to cock the left hammer. This happened to me and others I know.
This means that the gun is badly out of timing, and could be very dangerous... so I'd suggest you send it in anyway.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
20 ga. said:
Dont send it in yet. It may simply be that you are not opening the gun far enough to cock the left hammer. This happened to me and others I know. Make sure you open the gun all the way and then try firing. Otherwise its the firing pin.
Not likely, since he says that it "clicks". And no indent on the primer. Only a gun with a "set type" trigger would click if it was not cocked. Hell, they may have even left the firing pin out.

Then some of the early ones, I seem to remember had the firing pin integral with the hammer nose and were prone to do exactly this. Also seems that they fixed the problem with a design change since then. Did the dealer have this one on the shelf for a long time?

You should also be able to see the firing pin tips, looking into the holes after letting the hammers down. I would bet that you can only see one in there! Another test, open and cock the gun, close it and then take off the forearm and barrels. Now with just the receiver and butt stock portion, put a finger tip over each of the firing pin holes, one at a time. Be prepared for a bit of "hurt" when you pull a trigger. Bet that you only get "stung" by the one that fires. If this is one of the old ones, you need a new gun!

Swap that gun back into the dealer as defective from the get-go for a newer model, and preferably with two triggers. End of problem.

(Two trigger models are much the better hunting guns anyway. Instant choice of chokes in the field, just so much faster and simpler than pushing some stupid selector around. It only takes an outing or two, preferably at the range to get used to them.)

Clyde

Clyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts