Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Stevens Savage Model 67E. I cannot find anywhere on the barrel what choke it has. Is there a way I can determine by measuring? I have calipers if that helps. Thanks

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
The best way to determine choke is by patterning what YOUR loads do in YOUR gun. A barrel marked with one designation may or may not actually shoot to that constriction. Otherwise, check underneath the forearm on the barrels to see if there is a designation there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks oneounceload,

I checked every marking on it. Nothing coincided with a choke diameter.
I did find a web page that said a 20ga barrel was .615" in diameter. It also gave the choke restriction sizes and said a full choke restriction was .004". I measured my barrel at the end with my inside calipers and got .609". I know this is .002" off from the stated choke size but I'm guessing it is a full choke. Does my theory sound right?

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
You need to measure both the ID of the barrel about 6" from the muzzle and the Id at the muzzle. I would check the .615 number with some other sources. I think that is a bit low for most 20 gauge guns. Your .004" is a typo. full chokes are generaly about .040 in constriction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill M. said:
You need to measure both the ID of the barrel about 6" from the muzzle and the Id at the muzzle. I would check the .615 number with some other sources. I think that is a bit low for most 20 gauge guns. Your .004" is a typo. full chokes are generaly about .040 in constriction.
Yes, I made a typo :oops: How would you measure 6" into the barrel?

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
There are calipers designed for that - your gunsmith probably has a set. Again, did you take the forearm off and look on the barrels where they were covered? It MIGHT be located under there in the form of stars or similar markings, but not necessarily spelled out

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My 67-F has star markings to indicate choke. They would look like *, any where from 1 to 4; *, **, ***, ****, or a C or CYL for cylinder. On the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver if they carried the system through the model series.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
How can Briely say 20 and 28 constrictions are the same??? They are way off on stated ic for 20 ga. and 28. Waaay off!

Here's the best chart.

http://www.colonialarms.com/chokespecs.html

Benji, here is an idea if you pattern your gun at 20 yds. IC 25", mod. 20", 16" full; don't count fliers.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
To measure the bore diameter you will need a bore gauge. It looks something like this:

You first measure the bore and then the choke at the end of the muzzle. The difference tells you what your choke is. Assuming that your bore is really .615 and you have Full choke, I would expect your choke diameter to be .580"-.575" or 35 to 40 thousandths constriction. Forget the names. Different manufacturers use the same term for different constrictions and there is no standard. Some say .035" is a Full and some say .040" is a Full. Who cares as long as you know what yours is.

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
It really doesn't matter what the gauge says, it matter how it patterns on paper at the appropriate distance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.