Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering buying my first o/u shotgun for some time now, but I have encountered a bit of a dilemma. Seeing as I am 6'4", an off the shelf double just doesn't fit right. Any suggestions on what I can do as far as gun fit goes without making my new beauty ugly as sin?

I have seen that for about $1,600, you can get a custom built dehaan. What would be a better use of my money: buying the custom DH, or buying a higher quality gun and modifying it?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Wideberth,
Your dilema may not be so bad because you are tall ,I am also 6' 4" tall, your length of pull needed may be longer than most which can be fixed by simply either adding shims under the exsisting recol pad of the over/ under of your choice ,or adding a thicker new recoil pad in place of the old one.Most any brand over/unders can be fitted to you with out making any major alterations to detract from the looks of the gun.

Most gunsmiths charge about 50.00 to do this including the pad and they can measure you for proper length of pull. Later on you may want to add an adjustable comb . But for now the proper length should get you shooting on target.

Regards CTS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Clay smoker is right. The most important issue for you to address is the length of pull, which should be able to be accomplished with shims between the pad and the stock. So i would go with a higher quality gun and get the shims i needed to make it feel right...forget the dehaan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts